market-farming - Re: Reccomendation to OTA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reccomendation to OTA
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 10:08:46 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Marc & Marcy <marc AT aculink.net>
To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2000 9:30 AM

> I suspect that the attack on organic by ABC was a shock
> since many consider organic a sacred cow. Well it isn't
> anymore. It looks like organic growers need to learn how to
> defend their vocation since thay are now in season.
>
> Stoessel brags about "debunking". ABC put its resources to
> create the perception of a debunking show. In sales
> "perception is truth". Truth is only relevant as a tool to
> support the desired perception.
>
> There is nothing the OTA could do to combat this. They were
> used to support the debunking. The spokeswoman was
> responding as objectively as possible to an ambush designed
> well in advance of their meeting to be emotional,
> controversial and alarmist.
>
> learn how to advocate for organics as big business does not
> have any scruples about destroying it completely if it
> serves profit. For example ABC doesn't care about destroying
> it to boost their ratings!!

You couldn't have put it more precisely! I was composing a post saying
almost the exact same thing. I deleted it since you have already so
articulately brought up these points. I was well prepared for watching the
show since on the West coast it's later and I was able read several
The only other points I might add in response to Marc's are: when you
respond to this show in whatever manner you choose, make no emotional
statements, stick to the facts mam. OTA's reprensentative was not scared,
she was angry. They baited her. Be careful, keep emotion out of it. I've
had interviews before and was amazed at what was presented after. "I
implied that?" Those kind of tactics are as old as the hills.

Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation WA

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: mjb AT premier1.net
$subst('Email.Unsub')