market-farming - Re: Reccomendation to OTA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marc & Marcy <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reccomendation to OTA
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 10:30:04 -0700

..snip..
> The members should get together & formally reprimand the OTA-withhold
> dues, fire everyone/anyone, do something. It's THEIR organization. I
> sure wouldn't stand for it. As a matter of fact, if I were the type
> of person to sue, and wasn't so court-room shy...
..snip..

I suspect that the attack on organic by ABC was a shock
since many consider organic a sacred cow. Well it isn't
anymore. It looks like organic growers need to learn how to
defend their vocation since thay are now in season.

Stoessel brags about "debunking". ABC put its resources to
create the perception of a debunking show. In sales
"perception is truth". Truth is only relevant as a tool to
support the desired perception.

There is nothing the OTA could do to combat this. They were
used to support the debunking. The spokeswoman was
responding as objectively as possible to an ambush designed
well in advance of their meeting to be emotional,
controversial and alarmist.

INVENT, not find, a controversial concept. Organic is bad
for you, the land, the world and it can kill you!!! Pretty
controversial. They chose well.

STRATEGIZE on how to support the concept. You can be sure
ABC had meetings in order to figure out how to make their
CONTROVERSIAL concept seem credible.

In order to support the "debunking" ABC chose to engage in
ALARMIST tactics well defined and engaged in by the National
enquirer and other "tabloid" entities.

Acquire "EXPERTS" to support your position. They couldn't
have picked a better junk yard dog.

LIMIT "responses" to support the "debunking" Stoessel brags
about. You will note the lack of ANYTHING good about organic
food in the program - all bad.

ALARM viewers or listeners to evoke an emotional response.
This is "Monkey News". It is designed to get people jumping
up and down and making OOH! OOH! screaming noises like
monkeys in a tree when they see a tiger or other predator.
ABC intended to create a predator to get people acting like
monkeys.

Add a big news name. You will note that Barbara Walters
ACTED REASONABLE for a minute or so at the end of the
program. There is an old saying about "giving a touch of
class to an otherwise ugly brawl".

ABC did an excellent job. I have experienced this type of
attack many times and have had to defend my products at many
trade shows. It's as old as the hills.

It could be best that everyone who is an organic advocate
learn how to advocate for organics as big business does not
have any scruples about destroying it completely if it
serves profit. For example ABC doesn't care about destroying
it to boost their ratings!!

Marc