market-farming - Netiquette of the Week - re-posting private communications

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Netiquette of the Week - re-posting private communications
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 09:04:58 -0800

I've been asked, and rightly so, to talk about re-posting private
communications.

If someone replies to you privately, and you think the topic is of broad
interest, please ask permission before you post their communication to the
list. If the sender gives it to you, please indicate that, so the rest of
us will know the background of the post.

It is unethical (and in some places illegal) to copy the body of a private
communication into a new e-mail and forge the original sender's address in
order to post to this list. Doing so will get you unsubscribed. As far as
I know this has only happened once, but I'm sure none of us want this bad
apple to spoil our barrel.

We're new, valuable, and finding our way. In our excitement, we sometimes
forget that e-mail really isn't face-to-face communication, and the nuance
of body language, eye contact, humor, and sarcasm, don't come through in
print. Let's all be gentle an respectful of each other. After all, we're
the only market-farming list we have :-)

Warmly, and respectfully,
Marcie

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm