market-farming - Re: The masses...(was Re: Dennis Avery)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The masses...(was Re: Dennis Avery)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 08:53:50 -0800

Rose wrote I have snipped some:

> It is marginal and will probably not mainstream unless two things happen,
in
> my opinion:
>
> 1. There is a direct and scientifically established link between
> pesticides and ill health - physical and mental - and the EPA bans the lot
> of 'em!
>
> 2. Growers of organic produce bring their prices in line with
> traditionally grown produce.

> So, not only is the food not readily accessible, but it's significantly
more
> expensive and, unless you're convinced that you'll die with the next bite
of
> traditional produce, no one is going to go out of their way to get it.
>
> One more thing...organic produce still doesn't "look" as good as the other
> stuff! Despite the fact that we shouldn't have gotten used to
blemish-free
> produce, we did. And we are constantly comparing. Much of the produce
> looks dull and is most often smaller. I've seen it with just about
> everything except for lettuces and greens.
>
> So, the masses, who vote with their dollars, are not going to mainstream
> organically grown produce.

I agree with some of what Rose says the gen. public won't be won over when
conventional produce seems ok. I do not agree that the premium price on
organics is greed, In fact I very much disagree. We are beginning the
process of certification and there are going to be some increased costs due
to it. For example organic seedlings. Greed! No Attempting a profit yes!

In the grocery store I have noticed that sometimes the organic stuff doesn't
look as good. But NOT the stuff that comes off this farm, its positively
works of art and I do not exaggerate. Ok not all the corn, but whats the
big whoop break of the end then its beautiful and free of chemical
pesticides. My .02 Beth