market-farming - Re: fish meal

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fish meal
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 07:53:03 -0500

From: <CAVM AT aol.com>

> Do you mind if I ask what part of the country you are in and about
what you
> have to pay for fish meal there? Neal Van Milligen

I am answering this in the list for all who have asked privately!

I live on the coast of North Carolina, where fishermen & crabbers are
having as hard a time holding onto their livelihood as small farmers.
This small local fertilizer producer uses whole, live caught, menhaden
fish &/or blue crabs after 50% of the edible meat has been removed.
They have 3 products-all good, one approved by CFSA, NC state organic
certifying agency. These descriptions & costs are from 5/14/99-the
last time I ordered. You must call for bulk prices over 500 lbs.

Chanteyman Brand Organic Fertilizers, Beaufort, NC
email ukusa AT mail.clis.com
ph# 919-781-6933
252-728-7645

Fishmeal Fertilizer 8-4-.05 Made from live caught menhaden-not scrap.
Stabilized at factory & analyzed to guarantee nutrients. No chemical
nitrogen added to achieve water insoluble 8% nitrogen content. Price:
3# $6.75-24# $24.50

Crabber's Choice 5-1-0.5 Crab shells are kiln dried, then pulverized.
No chemicals or stabilizers added. I don't know why our agency
doesn't allow this! 4# $5.75-100# bags $55, min order 5 bags.

Crabber's Choice Plus 6-1-0.5-4# approved for certified organic use.
4# $6.50-100# bag $60, min order 5 bags.

Liz

  • Re: fish meal, Elizabeth Pike, 02/06/2000