market-farming - Re: My e-mail to 20/20

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: My e-mail to 20/20
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 08:57:45 -0600

Elizabeth Pike wrote:

> It's not worth the trouble. They had their mind made up before the segment
> was ever filmed.

Television runs on money. It's "customer base" is the advertisers. The
advertisers customer base is us. If we get upset and make enough noise
then the advertisers get upset too.

E-mail Stossel. Had I known that his stupid web page would wipe my
e-mail after I sent it I'd have copied it before I hit that send
button. E-maill Stossel, e-mail ABC, and if anybody has a list of the
show's producers and advertisers, let's e-mail them too. Don't settle
for just e-mail either, SNAIL MAIL 'em.

Write letters to the editor to your local papers. Go to

http://www.ota.org

and check out the News section, there's an article there listing Avery's
lies, when and where they were printed. For instance, he has claimed
the CDC had done comparative studies between organic and "regular"
produce that showed high contamination levels for the organic stuff.
The CDC had to issue a statement saying that no such studies had ever
been done after Avery's lies were published in the Wall Street Journal.
(Not a rag highly noted for its agricultural slant).

I can't decide if the man is a frothing-at-the-mouth loony who actually
believes the crap he writes, or if he's just an unethical smarmy bastard
who has gone where the money is. Whatever, fear sells. Sex sells
better, but they could hardly put a sexual slant on organic farming (at
least not one *I'd* want to know about). So fear will do. That's all
this thing was, and that's all Avery does - fear mongering and the
spreading of disinformation.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant