market-farming - 20/20

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 20/20
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 23:02:35 -0800

20/20 organic produce segment was simply Dennis Avery and his nonsense.
Very anti organic. We are poisining everyone with E-Coli which was found
on only 5 % of "all" produce tested with some higher consentration on
organic. Basically just on sprouts and bag salad.
It was very one sided and the organic expert was a dud. This was the line
that bugged me: Avery says its bad because of manure, announcer says most
organic farmers fertilize with compost (said the word compost) and its been
shown that raw manure on vegetables increase E-Coli, do we see an error
here. Avery mentions temperature (of compost) they don't even use
thermometers just throw it in a pile and then put in on garden.
More crap about conventional farmer saving land, because organics have to
use so much land because they loose so much produce to weeds! Conventional
only way to save the world and land. If all production went organic wouldn't
be enough land.
The entire piece in my opinion was very unscientific they wanted to "prove"
organics were an expensive waste of money and not even good for you. Who
paid them off is what I want to know. They said you can write to Stossel the
announcer at his web page, but I don't even know where to begin. Its seem
like they researched nothing just let Avery speak. Maybe they should do a
story on who Avery works for. Beth

  • Re: 20/20, Elizabeth Pike, 02/04/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • 20/20, Hook Family, 02/04/2000