market-farming - Re: Transporting to market :rose coffins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: flowers AT rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers)
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Transporting to market :rose coffins
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:30:48 -0700 (MST)

>We built a couple of "cold boxes" out of rigid foam insulation and duct
>tape. 2'x4'x2' with a "hinged" lid.

try collecting what we call styrofoam 'rose coffins' from a local florist.
they are used to ship roses and other frost/heat sensitive flowers theya
re sdesigned for one time use but we get several seasons use if we can keep
them out of the sun.

once you establish a rapport with the florists, they will be glad to save
them for you.. at worst they cost 5 bucks and hold lots of produce or even
flowers !
we collect enough over th winter that we resell them to other farmers ..at
a small profit of course!:)

martin
Martin Connaughton
Wilderness Flowers
223 North Guadalupe St. pmb # 159
Santa Fe, NM 87501
zone 3-4-5 depending on mother nature .. zone 5 this year and no snow

5059898337 office
5057578337 farm april/november
5059203421 cell

  • Re: Transporting to market :rose coffins, Wilderness Flowers, 02/04/2000