market-farming - Ree-coli and horse manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ree-coli and horse manure
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 07:49:10 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 5:02 AM
Subject: Re: carrots and horse manure

> Robert Farr wrote:
> >
> > Holly:
> >
> > Animal manures carry the possibility of e-coli.
>
> Not in my livestock.
>
> E-coli can occur in any livestock no matter how well you manage them. It
is also occuring in wild animals as well. Salmonella is the same, although
my egg inspector said the chance of my chickens having it here on the west
coast is 1 in 3 million. Whether organic or not, it is a safety issue for
consumers to know that their food is grown prudently. Hopefully it will
soon become mandatory for all growers to have either composted or aged their
manures before applying it to their fields. Here in Washington it's 60
days. It's sad that this has happened, we all know probably why these
bacterias have gone crazy, but now that they are here we need to deal with
it.
Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation Wa

  • Ree-coli and horse manure, Michaele Blakely, 02/02/2000