market-farming - Re: border collie pups as herd protectors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelley Pasco" <whistle AT halcyon.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: border collie pups as herd protectors
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:43:13 -0800

Title: Re: border collie pups as herd protectors
Liz wrote:
When did you start your dog's formal training?  I've been advised, by border collie/herding dog professional, not to start until he's  a year old, and in the meantime-do not ever let him mouth the "herd" (us or whatever animals we may have around.)

Liz,
The school I'm going to starts pups as early as possible--7 weeks is ideal. I started mine when he was 5 months. He's a natural already. My instructor starts by encouraging chasing after sheep, building confidence--even letting the pup "floss his teeth" on a little wool. Then once he feels they're ready, we move on to caring about the stock and keeping the safe distance. Mine likes to do the "away" or clockwise direction more than the go by direction, so we're working on that too. He could be herding ducks by summer, but we'll wait and see.
I guess everyone's got their own method. I wasn't sure if you were seeing an instructor or not. I didn't want to sound like a know-it-all, I was trying to spare you the disappointment I experienced. My Aussie pup was just trying to get them to play, but they can be hard on pullets--pulling on their feathers and ripping skin. He didn't mean to kill them, but I sure couldn't trust him alone with the birds.
Shelley
Whistling Train Farm
Kent, WA