market-farming - Re: border collie pups as herd protectors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: border collie pups as herd protectors
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 07:05:17 -0600

> Elizabeth Pike wrote:
>
> When did you start your dog's formal training? I've been advised, by
> border collie/herding dog professional, not to start until he's a
> year old, and in the meantime-do not ever let him mouth the "herd" (us
> or whatever animals we may have around.)

I've been told to start training them to commands like "sit" as soon as
possible, keeping in mind the fact that a puppy has a very VERY short
attention span, but not to start actually training them to herd until
around a year old (I think it was). In the meantime your supposed to
acclimate them to the livestock (e.g., they should not suddenly be
confronted with, say, sheep on the first day you start your herding
training). Not leave them alone with the animals, but make sure they've
been exposed to their presence, otherwise they're going to be doubly
distracted and afraid to boot when you start their herding training.

But a border collie is a herd dog and not a guardian. I really think
asking a herd dog to do double duty as a livestock guardian is asking
for trouble.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant