market-farming - Re: deer deterrence

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "five springs farm" <fsfarm AT mufn.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: deer deterrence
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:42:22 -0500

There are no sure things, it would seem. We find that deer will get used to
anything after a while. Try different things as often as needed (every week
or two). We use perfume on rags tied around the edge of the gardens, every
50' or so. Change the scent often.

Pee around the edges

One year when deer got too friendly we camped out in the area for a couple
of nights. Our dog got more used to the idea of patrolling the area after
that, too.

Hanging flashy things seem to help. We have used CDs (plenty come form AOL
in the mail). Pie tins. There is a material used in the screen printing of t
shirts that we got from a t shirt printer. It is shiny and real flimsy, and
moves in the slightest breeze. Tied to fence posts it lasted all summer.
Also kept birds away, which we did not like. No free lunch.

Jim and Jo
The Community Farm Newsletter
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf