market-farming - Re: wood chips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT netins.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wood chips
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 22:31:27 -0600

(snip)
does anyone have any suggestions on how to
use this free material (back here no one -not even the electric coop sprays
anything on the forest and brush so the chips are going to be chemical
free). Currently, the chips aren't in the way, so I don't mind letting
them sit, but....

Ohhhhhh! I've been begging the power co. to give me wood chips. I would
spread them on pathways and lanes around the farm to cut down on mud and
put them in front of the emu sheds for the same reason. Then I would mulch
the flower beds in front of the house if I had any left over, and then the
sides and the back. And on nights in spring if frost is threatening I
would light piles of them around the garden and in the orchard - smudge
piles? And I would put them under fences so the grass wouldn't grow up and
short out the wires and around trees to make mowing simpler. I bet they
smell good.

Marie Kamphefner
Strawberry Lane Farm

  • wood chips, Leigh Hauter, 01/30/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: wood chips, Marie Kamphefner, 01/30/2000
    • Re: wood chips, kathryn marsh, 01/31/2000