market-farming - wood chips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: wood chips
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:17:17 -0500

Before the 3 feet of snow we've got over the last week, the power company
was clearing the right of way and had lots of wood chips (mostly brush and
hard wood) with no where cheap to put them, Not wanting to turn up
something which seemed to have value I told them to go ahead and dump the
chips on some rocky land near our drive. They've dumped about 10 truck
loads and I'll probably get another 10 before they're finished in this area.

I've found the saw dust and bark where I cut our fire wood makes part of a
great soil (after about 3 years) does anyone have any suggestions on how to
use this free material (back here no one -not even the electric coop sprays
anything on the forest and brush so the chips are going to be chemical
free). Currently, the chips aren't in the way, so I don't mind letting
them sit, but....

  • wood chips, Leigh Hauter, 01/30/2000