market-farming - Re: Cut Flower Subscriptions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Byczynski" <growing4market AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cut Flower Subscriptions
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:43:15 -0500

>>Lynn - Can you pass on a list of varities that you grew for your
>>subscription flower garden?

I grow about everything imaginable for florists, so I didn't do anything
different for the pyo people. They had free range in all the fields.
Actually, I did grow a few hundred glads for them, which I never grow for
florists because they're so cheap in summer. As for insurance, our company
is called Goodville Mutual, based in New Holland, PA, but they're licensed
in only eight states. Also, the agent made it pretty clear that because we
"know" all our subscription customers - they have been our veggie CSA
customers for a decade - the pyo would be covered as part of the general
farm liability. However, he warned that if we opened it up for retail PYO,
that would be a different situation and we would need to get additional
coverage, and I did not think to ask whether Goodville also offers it. Good
luck!