market-farming - Re: Cut Flower Subscriptions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Byczynski" <growing4market AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cut Flower Subscriptions
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:45:06 -0500

We started a cut flower subscription pick-your-own last summer. $100 got
you a small french flower bucket and the right to fill it 10 times over the
course of the summer. It worked very well. We left a check-in sheet on a
table with a tupper ware container of floralife and a basket full of
clippers.

We sell most of our flowers to florists and we were concerned that the pick
your own customers would take too many, but we could hardly tell that they
had been through. Also, they often took flowers that we could not have sold
to florists (too big, strangely shaped, etc.) We will probably expand the
pyo to 50 subscribers this summer.

WE have some friends who also sell at farmers market. They sell punch cards
at Christmas, redeemable for a bouquet at farmers market or a bouquet at
their pyo. That works very well also.

Finally, our customers often used the service to bring friends and family
out for a trip to the country, and they sometimes took 2 or 3 of bucket
fulls home, but they always counted them and left a note so we new where
they stood. Pick-Your-Own flower customers are generally very nice people.

We have on farm liability insurance that covers this. This is the first pyo
we ever did, though we have market gardened for 12 years. The additional
rider to cover this was not that much.

---
Lynn Byczynski or Dan Nagengast <growing4market AT earthlink.net>
Growing for Market
Kansas Rural Center 785/748-0959