market-farming - Re: Help with irrigation and mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Help with irrigation and mulch
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:18:19 -0600

Allan Balliett wrote:

> What about old hay? Anyone using old hay? Any good strategies for
> minimizing the awesome weed seed problems old hay can create??

I've used old hay and never had a weed problem of any sort. Any weeds
that managed to get rooted and sprout are so shallowly rooted (or are
mostly rooted in the hay) you could practically knock them over with a
feather.

The hay was layered quite deeply. We had a drought that year and I was
hauling water to the site in milk jugs (e.g., nothing got much in the
way of extra water). Still it was the best garden I ever had.

This was a smallish garden plot, around 50 feet square as I recall.
Can't say how this would work on larger areas, problem being mostly that
it might be expensive if you have to buy in that much hay.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant