market-farming - Re: peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelley Pasco" <whistle AT halcyon.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: peppers
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:45:22 -0800

Beth,
Try "Islander" from Johnny's It starts out a beautiful lavender
color--that's its green phase. They'll ripen to red if you give them time,
and they'll do it earlier than most bells. It's kind of pricey, but very
dependable for me, zone 7. Also "Gypsy", a banana-type, is very very
productive, sweet even when green, and ripens really dependably to red here.
Not a bell, but it tastes better and it's beautiful. Once they get going we
have more than we know what to do with, which is nice for a tropical plant.
I do "Apple" from Johnny's as well, as a sweet pepper. "Sugarchile" from
Johnny's is a great pepper that is really sweet and just a little hot, and
it's big and red. Draws attention, subscribers love them because they're not
too hot. (I like them for the same reason). I like the Bulgarian Carrot and
Cherry Bomb here, because they'll ripen in a greenhouse, and they're more
productive than others I've tried. And they're pretty.
Shelley
Whistling Train Farm
Kent, WA

----------
>From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
>To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: peppers
>Date: Sat, Jan 29, 2000, 12:21 PM
>

> Ah a pepper expert! I love to grow peppers I think they are a beautiful
> plant. Last year I tried to grow a yellow and an orange bell pepper, never
> turned. I suspect they just ran out of time ie I didn't get them in ground
> early enough, but I actually don't remember. I also bought a six pack of
> chocolate peppers they never changed either. Last year was dry. Any
> suggestions? Thanks Beth
>
>> We grow peppers - picked more than 40,000 last year; aiming for 150,000
>> this year - and make and sell hot sauce as The Chile Man
>> (www.chileman.com coming soon!).
>>
>> I've been on this list two days - and already have amassed some great
>> info! An excellent group -
>>
>> Robert.
>>

>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: guldann AT ix.netcom.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')
>>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: whistle AT halcyon.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')

  • peppers, Hook Family, 01/29/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: peppers, Shelley Pasco, 01/29/2000
    • Re: peppers, Bill Shoemaker, 01/31/2000