market-farming - Marketing the "FARM" part

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ericka & Rich Dana" <doodles AT netins.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Marketing the "FARM" part
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:25:18 -0800

One thing that helps us with this aspect is a CATNIP FARM '98 (titled across
the top) poster I made with about 20 color 4x6 pictures nicely matted and
mounted on it for people to look at if they want to. Early and later in the
season it fills up space if our table offerings are limited, otherwise we
keep it handy and pull it out when folks start asking questions like "what
kind of chickens do you have?" or "how did you grow this?".

So even though our farm is 50 miles from our customers, they can see what it
looks like. I originally made the poster for our display at a farm
conference 2 winters ago, but I covered it with clear vinyl and it has held
up well. I take it with me to group meetings when I'm invited to speak on
CSA/farming and there is no A/V equipment, and my restaurant people (chefs
and cooks) like to look at it too. It's easier for them to look at than a
book or pile of pictures, but bulkier to carry around.

Ericka, Catnip Farm
--The Mighty Oak was once a little nut that held its ground.
----------
>From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
>To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Re: Marketing concerns
>Date: Sat, Jan 29, 2000, 8:08 AM
>
> Lucy Goodman-Owsley:> Psychology of marketing is a very interesting topic
> and far more important than most people think.<
>
> This is the exact problem I'm having with our farmer's market. The
> marketing just isn't there. Not necessarily traditional marketing like ads
> and such, but marketing the "farm" part. The vendors just don't get it.
> This is what customers miss & enjoy immensely. It's also why state fairs
> are so hugely popular-at least in our state! (I love ours!)
>
> Liz Pike
> Morningstar Gardens
> Pollocksville, North Carolina

  • Marketing the "FARM" part, Ericka & Rich Dana, 01/29/2000