market-farming - Re: Tomato Support?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tomato Support?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:13:34 -0500

I've tried just about everything with tomatoes and I'm not sure which is
the best. Last year we trellised about 400 and staked an equal amount.
They both take work and while, theoretically, trellising is easier, I
wasn't so sure. Runnning fencing beside the tomato row is easiest but it
seems rather expensive. and cleaning thte fence is always a problem.

Just letting them sprawl, unless you are growing an industrial type tomato
like the large growers in Florida do, is sure wasteful.. It seems you lose
atleast 3 or 4 times more tomatoes that way.