market-farming - Re: Why We Need Standards and Market Rules MAKING WORK FOR OURSELVES

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Why We Need Standards and Market Rules MAKING WORK FOR OURSELVES
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:01:17 -0500

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:07:51 -0800 (PST), Lucy Goodman-Owsley
<goodows AT excite.com> wrote:

>Anyone who runs their chickens before their vegetables is not using
>standards higher than the NOP. No, instead they are making up their own
>rules as to what is organic.

Improperly composting manure beforre planting vegetables in it is a
health issue not an organic one.

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:08:45
From: Bluestem Associates <bluestem AT webserf.net>
To: "sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu" <sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu>
Subject: RE: being a heretic

<snip>

Government's chief duty in a free-market economy is not, however, to
solve peoples problems ( eg, the farm "crisis') , or to impose more
and more layers of bureaucratic regulation. If the organic industry
can't figure it out by healthy competition ["concurrence loyal", on
dira en francais] reinforced by periodic collaboration, let it go. The
government doesn't mess with "kosher," and it shouldn't be messing
with "organic."

<><><><>

>Lucy Goodman-Owsley
>Boulder Belt CSA
>New Paris, OH
>Website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/boulderbeltcsa
>Organic Farming and Gardening Forum:
>http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/mbs.cgi/mb135705
>Want Social Change? Join a CSA!

>Get 100% FREE Internet Access powered by Excite
>Visit http://freeworld.excite.com

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu