market-farming - Re: Why We Need Standards and Market Rules MAKING WORK FOR OURSELVES

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Why We Need Standards and Market Rules MAKING WORK FOR OURSELVES
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:23:56 -0500

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:03:10 GMT, MJ Barnes <tbarnes AT huntel.net>
wrote:

>What do you do with all the "certified organic" venders who go through the
>paper trail, expense, etc. but still are far to the left of organic
>standards.
>We have Cert. growers that I know for a fact are not following the rules the
>public is not getting what they expect when they buy.

Its only a matter of time before organic certification inspections
become "compromised" through its involvement with USDA
and mandatory regulations just as USDA inspections of produce and
fruit have become. Also in NC the chicken processing plant fire could
have been avoided if USDA inspectors had been doing their job.
In last night's nationally networked news at 6:30 there was a report
on USDA inspectors taking bribes from produce wholesalers in a New
York market to illegally downgrade the quality of fruits and
vegetables brought into the market on tractor trailers from family
farms all over the US so that wholesalers could get first quality
produce for lower prices. This resulted in millions of dollars in
losses to family farms raising excellent products - they
think this fraud to be widespread throughout the US.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu