market-farming - Re: Why We Need Standards and Market Rules MAKING WORK FOR OURSELVES

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Why We Need Standards and Market Rules MAKING WORK FOR OURSELVES
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:14:56 -0500

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:07:51 -0800 (PST), Lucy Goodman-Owsley
<goodows AT excite.com> wrote:

>A much better practise is to follow vegetables with chickens and than plant
>a cover crop or plant a poasture area for the birds as a part of a crop
>rotation

Follow the chickens with light tillage and application of rock
powders: rock phosphate, greensand, rock dusts from quarries - the
acids in the manure will help break the rock down - then plant cover
crops (red clover) - This isn't "waiting 3 months to plant a cash
crop" its simply part of your soil improvement program, something that
has to be done anyway and is the best time to do it. After this
pathogen levels should be low enough to plant food crops.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu