market-farming - Agriculture bibliography Part 22

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Agriculture bibliography Part 22
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:05:06 -0500

How to Grow Fresh Air : 50 Houseplants That Purify Your Home or Office
by B. C. Wolverton List Price: $15.95 Our Price: $12.76 You Save:
$3.19 (20%)
Paperback - 144 pages (April 1997) Penguin USA (Paper); ISBN:
0140262431 ;
Dimensions (in inches): 0.41 x 9.38 x 7.43 Availability: This title
is
currently on
back order. We do not have a reprint date for this title, but we
expect to be
able
to ship it to you within 3-5 weeks.
Reviews Synopsis Plants are the lungs of the earth. This
revolutionary guide,
based on 25 years of research by NASA, shows how common houseplants
can combat
sick
building syndrome and cleanse the home or office of common pollutants.
Color
photos
& illustrations. Online promo. In research designed to create a
breathable
environment for a NASA lunar habitat noted scientist Dr. B. C.
Wolverton
discovered
that houseplants are the best filters of common pollutants such as
ammonia,
formaldehyde, and benzene. Hundreds of these poisonous chemicals can
be released
by
furniture, carpets, and building material, and then trapped by closed
ventilation
systems, leading to the host of respiratory and allergic reactions now
called
Sick
Building Syndrome. In this full-color, easy-to-follow guide, Dr.
Wolverton shows
you
how to grow and nurture 50 plants as accessible and trouble-free as
the tulip
and
the Boston fern, and includes many beautiful but commonly found
varieties not
generally thought of as indoor plants. He also rates each plant for
its
effectiveness in removing various pollutants, and its ease of growth
and
maintenance.
Customer Comments : A reader from Washington, D.C. , October 28, 1998
Excellent,
Simple - Easy Reading ! What a great book. The author writes with a
style that
is
easy to read and easy to understand. It's hard to imagine the results
he reports
originated with space based research. I'm in the interior plantscape
business,
and
this is a must have for all of my employees. A reader , April 2,
1997 Highly
informative, and fun to browse through. This is a great new book on
the rarely
discussed subject of using houseplants to clean indoor air. The book
starts with
few well written and illustrated chapters on indoor air pollution,
sick-building
syndrome and the process by which plants can help. The remainder of
the book
discusses 50 common plants and outlines the care and needs of each
one, as well
as
each plant's ability to clean various toxins from the air. Not only is
this an
informative book, but it's fun to read, and beautifully photographed
and
designed,
with lots of excellent full-page color photography. I keep mine out on
my coffee
table. A reader , April 2, 1997 Highly informative, and fun to
browse
through.
This is a great new book on the rarely discussed subject of using
houseplants to
clean indoor air. The book starts with a few well written and
illustrated
chapters
on indoor air pollution, sick-building syndrome and the process by
which plants
can
help. The remainder of the book discusses 50 common plants and
outlines the care
and
needs of each one, as well as each plant's ability to clean various
toxins from
the
air. Not only is this an informative book, but it's fun to read, and
beautifully
photographed and designed, with lots of excellent full-page color
photography. I
keep mine out on my coffee table.

Healing Environments : Your Guide to Indoor Well Being
by Carol Venolia, Debra Lynn Dadd List Price: $12.95 Our Price:
$10.36 You
Save:
$2.59 (20%) Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Paperback -
224 pages
(July 1988) Celestial Arts; ISBN: 0890874972 ; Dimensions (in
inches): 0.72 x
8.97
x 6.02
Reviews From The WomanSource Catalog & Review: Tools for Connecting
the
Community
for Women; review by SH , February 1, 1997 The physical environments
we live,
work
and play in have a direct, but often unrecognized, effect on the
harmony of our
lives. Becoming aware of our interactions with these spaces and making
changes
improve them can help create balance and emotional well-being. Healing
Environments
provides ways in which to reconfigure our lifestyles and surroundings
that will
enhance our lives and spiritual beings. For instance, adding accents
of silver,
the
color of the moon, can aid creativity, soothe emotions and soften the
ambience
in
our surroundings. An architect by profession, Carol Venolia guides us
beyond the
structural dimensions and into the sensorial realms of the spaces we
inhabit.
This
book is presented as a way to get to know ourselves and evaluate our
environments,
as well as to teach us how the components of color, sound,
temperature, light,
arrangement and texture can be cultivated to create a healthier and
more
fulfilling
existence.
Excerpted from Healing Environments by Carol Venolia (as appears in
The
WomanSource
Catalog & Review): A friend of mine found another way to change his
environment
via
his perceptions. His heart was in the Sierras, but his work was in San
Francisco. He
made his peace with the city by knowing the origins of its parts: the
granite
veneer
on his high-rise office building was quarried in the mountains; his
drinking
water
came from the snowfall of the Sierra Nevada; his Victorian row-house
was built
from
the redwood forests; the sun that shone on him also irritating, but
necessary
requirements for home-dwellers.

Nontoxic, Natural and Earthwise : How to Protect Yourself and Your
Family from
Harmful Products and Live in Harmony With the Earth
by Debra Lynn Dadd ASIN: 0874775841 Availability: This title is out
of print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.
Reviews Synopsis Debra Lynn Dadd leads the way for consumers to
protect both
themselves and the environment, by establishing new product-buying
criteria that
reflects the linkage between environmental protection and our health.
Readers
will
find recommendations for more than 2,000 brand-name products are safe
and
environmentally sound. Printed on 100% recycled paper.

Green Building Resource Guide
by John Hermannsson Our Price: $30.36 You Save: $7.59 (20%) Usually
ships in 24
hours Paperback - (May 1997) 152 pages
Reviews How-To Editor's Recommended Book Green Building Resource
Guide is the
first truly comprehensive resource guide for environmentally friendly
building
materials. It includes both structural and finish materials such as
recycled
lumber,
natural-fiber carpeting, low-toxic adhesives, and energy- and
resource-efficient
appliances. Author John Hermannsson rates and compares the materials
against
more
commonly known examples and lists manufacturers and suppliers, along
with their
phone numbers. Whether building a home or remodeling, Green Building
Resource
Guide
is an essential source for anyone who wants to proceed the
Earth-friendly way.
Who
doesn't?
Synopsis "Green" products are non-toxic, contain more recycled
material, are
more
durable and require less maintenance than standard products. This
professional
reference for residential construction lists more than 600
environmentally
friendly
products and their manufacturers. Readers see product descriptions,
suppliers'
current addresses and phone numbers, and cost comparisons to
conventional
materials.
A timely sourcebook updated annually. Color illus.
The author, John Hermannsson, , April 10, 1997 A comparison of the
cost of green
conventional products The greatest obstacle to using green building
materials
in
construction today is the misconception that it will always cost a lot
more than
conventional materials. I wrote the Green Building Resource Guide and
created a
unique feature which is a cost comparison between each green product
and a
conventional one it could replace. The purpose of this feature is to
eliminate
the
fear of the unknown obstacle of cost, and become a "tool for
application" to
promote
the use of green building materials and products. Many books have been
written
about
the deterioration of our environment and health from toxic materials
but not
enough
is being done to solve these problems. As an architect, I wrote this
book to
bring
us a step closer to solving these problems with residential
construction and
indoor
air quality.

Builder's Guide to New Materials and Techniques
by Paul Bianchina Our Price: $19.96 You Save: $4.99 (20%) Usually
ships in 24
hours
Paperback - (April 1997) 352 pages
Reviews Book Description Builders today need to beat the competition
by
providing
cutting-edge technology at an affordable cost for their clients. From
earth-friendly
engineered lumber and concrete/masonry systems to inventive siding,
hvac
systems,
and more, this book addresses these latest technologies as well as
tips from
field-tested situations on what tools and techniques to use in
conjunction with
them.
Synopsis This professional's guide focuses on innovative building
materials,
describing the best ways for contractors and subs to put these
products to use
outperform competitors. From environmentally friendly engineered
lumber to
energy
saving concrete/masonry homebuilding systems, this unique book
addresses the
latest
technologies and provides field-tested advice on tools and techniques.
A volume
in
the Builder's Guide Series.
>From the Back Cover Learn how to capitalize on hundreds of today's
exciting new
building products Are you finding it difficult to keep up with all the
new
building
products flooding the market these days? Well, this practical,
easy-to-read
guide
will tell you everything a modern builder needs to know about hundreds
of new
products-ranging from engineered lumber and composite wood products to
hardware
trim, and even plastic lumber. You'll get an introduction to the
technology
that's
shaping the way we build, plus expert coverage of: Lumber products and
specialty
items such as joists, trusses, wood bridges, and studs; Panel
products,
including
plywood, hardboard, fiber-board, melamine, and particleboard; Plywood
and
wood-based
siding products; Other wood-based and nonwood products, such as
shingles,
siding,
doors, trim, moldings, fencing, and windows; Hangers, connectors, and
fasteners.
This complete reference also takes you through computerized design
services. .
.product selection and specification. . .and proper storage, handling,
and
installation. In addition, it provides an appendix of products listed
by trade
name
and manufacturer-plus a handy directory of manufacturers, with phone
numbers and
addresses.
Customer Comments : A reader from Atlanta, Georgia , January 5, 1999
The book
contains tons of building data I was very impressed with the book. I
was
looking
for new techniques and this is what the book provided along with
information on
how
to obtain the materials. Also detailed information on how to use the
materials.
The
book was a great help.

Green Development: Integrating Ecology and Real Estate
by Alex Wilson, Jen Uncapher, Lisa McManigal, L. Hunter Lovins Our
Price: $54.95
Usually ships in 24 hours Paperback - (January 1998) 528 pages
Reviews The
publisher, John Wiley & Sons "Green building"--the trend toward more
environmentally responsible construction--has become a popular
movement among
architects, but it is less well understood by the developers and
owners who
control
funding. This book is the first to demonstrate the advantages of green
development,
using case studies of developers and owners who built environmentally
responsible
projects that have delivered superior financial rewards.
Customer Comments : Christian Overbey (cdosem AT halcyon.com) from
Seattle,
Washington
, December 1, 1998 Thoroughly presents sustainable land development
This book
thoroughly presents sustainable real estate development. It answers
the basic
questions of how, what, when, why and who with text and photos (CD
also)
illustrating numerous case studies. It is written for a wide and
concerned
audience, composed of real estate professionals, financiers and
designers. This
book
is not technical. It is a conceptual book and guides the reader toward
sustainable
solutions. This subject is very large and this book is necessarily a
summary,
which
includes recent projects. This book does not "preach to the choir".
It
addresses
difficult obstacles to the sustainable development paradigm and
provides
workable
solutions.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Agriculture bibliography Part 22, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/04/2000