market-farming - Agriculture bibliography Part 23

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Agriculture bibliography Part 23
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:09:04 -0500

Design With Nature
by Ian L. McHarg Our Price: $39.96 You Save: $9.99 (20%) Usually ships
in 2-3
days
Paperback - (February 1995)
Reviews Synopsis The first book to describe an ecologically sound
approach to
the
planning and design of communities, Design with Nature has done much
over the
past
25 years to shape public environmental policy. This paperback edition
makes this
classic accessible to a wider audience than ever before. Lavishly
illustrated
with
more than 300 color photos and line drawings.

Ecological Design
by Sim Van Der Ryn, Stuart Cowan (Contributor), Stuart Cowen Our
Price: $17.56
You
Save: $4.39 (20%) Usually ships in 24 hours Paperback - (December
1995) 200
pages
Reviews Synopsis Ecological Design presents a vision of how the
living world
and
the human world can be rejoined by taking ecology as the basis for
design--adapting
and integrating human design with natural processes. The authors weave
together
case
studies, personal anecdotes, images and theory to provide a thorough
treatment
of
the concept of ecological design.

From Eco-Cities to Living Machines : Principles of Ecological Design
by Nancy Jack Todd, John Todd Our Price: $13.56 You Save: $3.39 (20%)
Usually
ships
in 24 hours Paperback - (April 1994) 185 pages

Drip Irrigation for Every Landscape and All Climates : Helping Your
Garden
Flourish,
While Conserving Water!
by Robert Kourik, Heidi Schmidt (Illustrator) List Price: $15.00 Our
Price:
$12.00
You Save: $3.00 (20%) Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.
Paperback -
118
pages (April 1993) Metamorphic Pr; ISBN: 0961584823 ; Dimensions (in
inches):
0.37
x 10.86 x 8.39

Energy-Efficient Operation of Commercial Buildings : Redefining the
Energy
Manager's
Job
by John Carmody, Peter H. Herzog Our Price: $45.00 Availability:
This title
usually ships within 2-3 days. Hardcover - 197 pages (June 1997)
McGraw Hill
Text;
ISBN: 0070284687 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.80 x 9.53 x 7.55
Reviews Book Description After a building has been designed (or
retrofitted)
and
constructed in accordance with accepted energy-efficient practices,
how do we
guaranteed that it will continue to be managed in an efficient way?
Buildings
are
much "smarter" than they used to be-they respond very sensitively to
use
patterns,
climatic changes, and tenancy changes-and efficient operation is no
longer a
matter
of reading a few thermostats and gauges. This useful book provides a
proven
practical methodology for achieving and sustaining energy efficiencies
in
building
operation.
Synopsis A book for architects and building, facilities, and energy
managers,
it
features a graphic format filled with charts, graphs, diagrams, and
worksheets.
This
no-nonsense guide introduces the basic concepts and presents a
sex-step process
for
identifying savings potential, operating efficiency, and building
performance.
Whether you're a building owner, facility manager, performance
contractor,
energy
manager, or building operator, this book will show you the role you
can play in
new, common-sense approach to energy cost-containment. The methods
described
will
revitalize your energy cost reduction efforts by providing a clear
path to
achieving
operational improvements. This unique resource features a
user-friendly format
that
takes you through a step-by-step process to identify savings potential
and
achieve
measurable cost reduction.
>From the Back Cover Proven methods for saving energy dollars by
improving a
building's operating efficiency Whether you're a building owner,
facility
manager,
performance contractor, energy manager, or building operator, this
book will
show
you the role you can play in a new, common-sense approach to energy
cost-containment. The methods described will revitalize your energy
cost
reduction
efforts through a step-by-step process to identify savings potential
and achieve
measurable cost reduction. Included are: An approach to
energy-efficient
operations
that combines a knowledge of technical systems and common-sense
management
procedures; Methods for quantifying the dollars consumed by each
significant
energy
user; Strategies for discovering energy waste that typically goes
undetected;
Expert
guidance on setting up a process to minimize energy waste and
continuously
improve
operating efficiency.

Bioshelters, Ocean Arks, City Farming : Ecology As the Basis of Design
by Nancy Jack Todd, Jack, John, John Todd ASIN: 0871563487
Availability: This
title is out of print. Although it is no longer available from the
publisher,
we'll
query our network of used bookstores for you and send an update within
one to
two
weeks.

Handbook of Alternative Materials in Residential Construction
by Richard T. Bynum, Daniel L. Rubino Our Price: $59.95
Availability: Usually
ships within 24 hours. Hardcover - 496 pages (September 1998) McGraw
Hill
Text;
ISBN: 0070119783 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.45 x 9.35 x 6.23
Reviews Book Description This book gives the builder, architect and
owner
information on alternative construction materials that are proven,
more durable
and
easy to work with than wood, and will save construction time and
costs. It
details
information on at least three alternative materials per building
phase. Each
material is compared to conventional materials in the terms which
matter
most-costs,
time considerations, durability, handling-as well as providing other
strengths
and
weaknesses. The book's primary focus is single-family homes, with some
coverage
of
multi-family dwellings. A case study chapter provides actual plans and
CAD
drawings
from residential buildings that were built entirely of new materials.
An index
of
manufacturers and suppliers will give the reader sources of additional
information.
At a time when limited natural resources, greater environmental
awareness,
improved
technologies, and home safety are industry-wide issues, this
indispensable
handbook
guides you through the new materials and the implementation of new
methods for
the
present and future. Written by experts who have hands-on design and
construction
experience with these tested and proven new homebuilding materials,
this book
shows
you how to expedite the building process and cut costs.
>From the Back Cover Squeezed by the high price of traditional
materials? After
100
years of conventional training and construction methods, there is a
better way
build houses with materials that are: cheaper; easier to use;
stronger; more
durable; more fire resistant; and kinder to the environment. At a time
when
limited
natural resources, greater environmental awareness, improved
technologies, and
home
safety are industry-wide issues, this indispensable handbook guides
you through
the
new materials and the implementation of new methods for the present
and future.
Written by experts who have hands-on design and construction
experience with
these
tested and proven new homebuilding materials, this book shows you how
expedite
the building process and cut costs in: foundations and basements;
floor systems;
exterior walls and roof systems; interior doors and hardware; interior
partitions;
heating and cooling systems; plumbing; electrical systems.
The author, Richard T. Bynum, Jr., AIA , October 26, 1998 New
innovations and
thinking will result in better quality The main reason that Dan and I
embarked
on
such a project as The Handbook of Alternative Materials in Residential
Construction
was basically a response to our frustrations with the current state of
the
homebuilding industry. As an architect, I am constantly involved in
the process
of
exploring better ways to design structures and improve habitable
spaces. It
became
obvious that the residential construction industry was not only
becoming
stagnate in
its evolution but somewhat ignorant as to the changes in methodology
and
material
improvements available. The mass production approach by the extensive
number of
national homebuilders has only exacerbated this trend that is
resistant to
change.
One of the problems is that although the information is out there, it
is not
easily
accessible to those not regularly involved in design or research. With
this in
mind,
Dan and I set a course to not only gather but to effectively
disseminate the
most
appropriate and promising research in a clear manner to illustrate how
easy it
is to
build homes better than they have ever been built before. We wrote
this book
with
the construction professional AND the homeowner in mind because in
this unique
market, both parties function as the primary instruments for change.
The
materials
discussed in this book are cutting edge, however that does not mean
they have
not
been time tested. In fact many of these materials have been used in
European
markets
or the commercial construction industry for years. As far as we know,
this is
the
truly the first and only book that assembles such a variety of
information that
competently and adequately covers such a broad scope in an effort to
improve
home
construction. Tankless water heaters, lightweight masonry units, steel
framing,
engineered wood products, deterioration resistant siding, home
automation and
geothermal heat pumps are but a few of the technologically advanced
products
discussed. Since the homeowner and homebuilder are the audience, the
technical
data
is presented in an easy to understand style without compromising the
professionals
interests and inquiries. An exhaustive appendix is also furnished to
provide
direct
access to product manufacturers if more information is needed. We hope
that this
book will not only edify the reader, but ultimately improve the
quality of the
homes
that we all live in.
Customer Comments : A reader , November 10, 1998 Great Book for
Everyone from
Weekend Workers to Foremen The Handbook of Alternative Materials in
Residential
Construction was truly a fascinating read for me. I discovered there
were so
many
things that I took for granted when it comes to home design and
construction.
Such a
simple notion as how to make your home wheelchair accessible for
anyone at any
age
at practically negligible additional cost is such a logical idea that
I do not
understand why more people are not building their homes with this in
mind. The
material was presented in such a clear and logical fashion that it was
very
simple
to compare the common construction materials in use for homebuilding
today to
the
"new and improved", innovative materials. Very enlightening. The
comprehensive
appendix in the back of the book also made it very simple to contact
the
manufacturers for more detailed information, product brochures and
store
locations.
A reader from Buffalo Flats, SD , October 27, 1998 Excellent How-to
book. My
wife
and I were getting ready to finalize plans to build our dream home in
South
Dakota.
We did not want to do it the same way that every else did. In other
words we
were
looking for something different. We heard about this book and thought
we would
give
it a try. Rebecca Dianne and I have been very pleased to say the
least. This
book
has given us so many alternatives to look at in the building process
that it
amazes
me that we didn't think of it before. It would be wonderful if there
would be a
follow-up every year or so to keep us abreast of changes in the field.
The one
thing
that pleased me greatly was that the book was written so that anyone
could
understand it. Most of these books are written like college textbooks,
this one
I am
happy to report is written for the lay person. Hats off to Rick and
Dan.

The Power Guide : An International Catalogue of Small-Scale Energy
Equipment
by Wim Hulscher, Peter Fraenkel Our Price: $47.50 Paperback 2nd
edition
(August
1993) Intermediate Technology; ISBN: 1853391921 Availability: This
title
usually
ships within 4-6 weeks. Please note that titles occasionally go out of
print or
publishers run out of stock. We will notify you within 2-3 weeks if we
have
trouble
obtaining this title.
Reviews Booknews, Inc. , January 1, 1995 An illustrated catalog of
small-scale
energy equipment (up to 250Kw), providing information on hundreds of
products
from
almost 500 manufacturers and suppliers in some 40 countries throughout
the
world. It
covers the following areas: solar photovoltaic equipment; wind pumps
and wind
generators; micro-hydro, hydraulic ram, and river current turbine
products; and
biomass pre-treatment, combustion, and steam systems, and gasifiers.
The guide
provides assistance with choosing an appropriate energy source and
conversion
technology, and finding out where the necessary equipment can be
obtained.
Annotation copyright Book News, Inc. Portland, Or.

The Tech and Tools Book : A Guide to Technologies Women Are Using
Worldwide
by Ruby Sandhu, Joanne Sandler (Compiler) Our Price: $20.95
Paperback
(December
1986) Intermediate Technology; ISBN: 0946688176 Availability: This
title
usually
ships within 4-6 weeks. Please note that titles occasionally go out of
print or
publishers run out of stock. We will notify you within 2-3 weeks if we
have
trouble
obtaining this title.

Mothers and Daughters of Invention : Notes for a Revised History of
Technology
by Autumn Stanley Our Price: $30.00 Availability: Usually ships
within 24
hours.
Paperback - 708 pages (October 1995) Rutgers Univ Press; ISBN:
0813521971 ;
Dimensions (in inches): 1.48 x 9.24 x 6.12
Reviews Booknews, Inc. , November 1, 1993 A broadly focused
compensatory
history of
technology, not only including women's contributions, but beginning
the task of
redefining "technology" and "significant technology" to value these
contributions
rightly. The volume traces women's inventions in five vital areas of
technology
worldwide--agriculture, medicine, reproduction, machines, and
computers--from
prehistory (or origin) forward, profiling hundreds of women, both
famous and
obscure. While focusing on facts, Stanley doesn't ignore theory, and a
significant
contribution of her work is a paradigm for male takeovers of
technologies
originated
by women. The 125-page bibliography is both massive and eclectic.
Hugely
valuable,
not least for the further research it should engender. Annotation
copyright Book
News, Inc. Portland, Or. --This text refers to the hardcover edition
of this
title

Do It Herself : Women & Technical Innovation
by Helen Appleton (Editor) Our Price: $29.95 Paperback (July 1995)
Women
Ink;
ISBN: 1853392871 Availability: This title usually ships within 4-6
weeks.
Please
note that titles occasionally go out of print or publishers run out of
stock. We
will notify you within 2-3 weeks if we have trouble obtaining this
title.

Biomimicry : Innovation Inspired by Nature
by Janine M. Benyus Our Price: $17.50 You Save: $7.50 (30%) Usually
ships in 24
hours Hardcover - (June 1997) 256 pages
List Price: $13.00 Our Price: $10.40 You Save: $2.60 (20%)
Availability:
Usually
ships within 24 hours. Paperback - 320 pages Reprint edition (May
1998)
William
Morrow & Co Paper; ISBN: 0688160999 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.90 x
9.21 x 6.09
Reviews Publishers Weekly The natural world, says Benyus (Beastly
Behaviors),
has
an enormous amount to teach us, if only we would "tune in"--as some
scientists
are
beginning to do--before it's too late. Touring the laboratories of a
wide array
of
researchers, she reports on the emerging race to mimic natural
processes (hence
"biomimicry") in the business-driven quest for better products,
environmentally
sound technologies and miracle drugs. The scientists speak with
palpable
excitement,
explaining the principles behind a utopian future of unlimited
possibilities:
energy
harnessed by simple, non-toxic molecules modeled on the principles of
photosynthesis, so efficient they put our best solar cells to shame;
an organic
computer, thousands of times faster and more powerful than that most
Pentium, that emulates the principles embodied in DNA; farms with
abundant
yields
requiring virtually no pesticides, fertilizers, or "energy inputs,"
mimicking a
natural ecosystem--and more. Benyus's shotgun approach can be
disorienting, but
the
possible breakthroughs, the technologies behind them and the
scientists
themselves
are invariably fascinating. And Benyus's observations are engaging as
well,
bringing
to her tech-oriented subject a non-didactic moral framework and an
invigorating
sense of wonder: "By deliberately looking for creatures that awe us,
we may just
stumble upon a whole new chemistry--the spoils of survival." (June)
The New York Times Book Review, Dorion Sagan : The sophisticated,
almost
pro-growth
angle of Benyus shows the great potential profitability of copying
some of
nature's
time-tested, non-polluting room-temperature manufacturing and
computing
technologies. The colors of Benyus, a splendid Stevensville, Mont.,
science
writer
with a grasp of several sciences, contain far more shades of green
than of
chrome.
>From Booklist , June 1, 1997: Forget the notion that technology
improves upon
nature. Benyus introduces us to pioneering engineers making
technological
breakthroughs by uncovering and copying nature's hidden marvels. These
engineers
are
devising solar fuel cells as efficient as plants, fibers as tough as
abalone
shell,
and computers as sophisticated as the brain. For Benyus, though, a
technology
that
mirrors nature does more than enlarge human powers and gratify human
ambitions.
Such
a technology teaches us how to live in harmony with nature, rather
than how to
dominate it. Unless we learn this urgent lesson, Benyus warns, our
highly
unnatural
and exploitative technologies will soon render the earth unfit for
life.
Sobering
yet hopeful, this book will bring help bridge the dangerous chasm
between
technophiles and environmentalists. Bryce Christensen Copyright 1997,
American
Library Association.
Book Description : Biomimicry is a revolutionary new science that
analyzes
nature's
best ideas - spider silk and eyes, seashells and brain cells,
photosynthesis and
DNA
- and adapts them for human use. Janine Benyus takes us into the lab
and out in
the
field with the maverick researchers who are discovering nature's
ingenious
solutions
to the problem of human survival: studying leaves to learn how to make
microscopic
solar "power packs" that will clean up toxic spills and light our
homes;
harnessing
DNA's coding power to make blindingly fast computers; discovering
miracle drugs
by
observing what animals eat; and much more. The answers are there for
the
finding,
poem like in their elegance and economy. Anyone interested in the
people and
ideas
that are shaping our future must read this book to know where the most
exciting
revelations lie-literally all around us.
Synopsis : Biomimicry is a revolutionary new science that analyzes
nature's best
ideas--spider silk and eyes; seashells and brain cells; photosynthesis
and
DNA--and
adapts them for human use. Janine Benyus follows the maverick
researchers who
are
harnessing DNA's coding power to make blindingly fast computers;
discovering
miracle
drugs by observing what animals eat, and much more. Read this book to
know where
the
most exciting scientific revelations lie. --This text refers to the
paperback
edition of this title
Synopsis : Biomimicry is a revolutionary new science that analyzes
nature's best
ideas--spider silk, seashells, and brain cells, photosynthesis, DNA
and
eyes--and
adapts them for human use. Now, in the tradition of James Gleick's
Chaos comes
an
essential book for understanding nature's intriguing and ingenious
solutions to
planetary survival. Biomimicry is the quest for innovation inspired
by nature.
Biomimics are scientists and inventors who study nature's greatest
achievements
-
spider silk and tallgrass, seashells and brain cells, photosynthesis
and forests
-
and adapt them for human use. Their findings are revolutionizing how
we invent,
compute, heal ourselves, harness energy, repair the environment,
conduct
business,
and feed the world. In Biomimicry, science writer Janine M. Benyus
names and
explains this phenomenon that has been unfolding in all the science
disciplines.
She
takes us into the lab and out into the field with the maverick
thinkers who are
stirring vats of proteins to unleash their signaling power in
computers...analyzing
how spiders manufacture a waterproof fiber five times stronger than
steel...watching
electrons zip and pop in a leaf cell, converting simple sunlight into
fuel in
trillionths of a second...discovering miracle drugs by noting what
chimps eat
when
they're sick...studying the hardy prairie as a low-maintenance model
for
agriculture...and much more. From the Publisher In the tradition of
James
Gleiek's Chaos, an essential book for understanding our world.
About the Author : Janine M. Benyus is the author of four books in the
life
sciences, including Beastly Behaviors: A Watchers Guide to How Animals
Act and
Why.
She is a graduate of Rutgers with degrees in forestry and writing and
has
lectured
widely on science topics. She lives in Stevensville, Montana.
Excerpted from
Biomimicry by Janine M. Benyus. : It's not ordinary for a bare-chested
man
wearing
jaguar teeth and owl feathers to grace the pages of The New Yorker,
but these
are
not ordinary times. While I was writing this book, Moi, an Huaorani
Indian
leader
whose name means "dream," traveled to Washington, D.C., to defend his
Amazonian
homeland against oil drilling. He roared like a jaguar in the
hearings, teaching
roomful of jaded staffers where real power comes from and what
homeland actually
means. Meanwhile, in America's heartland, two books about aboriginal
peoples
were
becoming word-of-mouth best-sellers, much to their publishers'
surprise. Both
were
about urban Westerners whose lives are changed forever by the wise
teachings of
pre-industrial societies. What's going on here? My guess is that Homo
industrialis,
having reached the limits of nature's tolerance, is seeing his shadow
on the
wall,
along with the shadows of rhinos, condors, manatees, lady's slippers,
and other
species he is taking down with him. Shaken by the sight, he, we, are
hungry for
instructions about how to live sanely and sustainably on the Earth.
The good
news is
that wisdom is widespread, not only in indigenous peoples but also in
the
species
that have lived on Earth far longer than humans. If the age of the
Earth were a
calendar year and today were a breath before midnight on New Year's
Eve, we
showed
up a scant fifteen minutes ago, and all of recorded history has
blinked by the
last
sixty seconds. Luckily for us, our planet-mates- -the fantastic
meshwork of
plants,
animals, and microbes--have been patiently perfecting their wares
since March,
an
incredible 3.8 billion years since the first bacteria. In that time,
life has
learned to fly, circumnavigate the globe, live in the depths of the
ocean and
atop
the highest peaks, craft miracle materials, light up the night, lasso
the sun's
energy, and build a self-reflective brain. Collectively, organisms
have managed
turn rock and sea into a life-friendly home, with steady temperatures
and
smoothly
percolating cycles. In short, living things have done everything we
want to do,
without guzzling fossil fuel, polluting the planet, or mortgaging
their future.
What
better models could there be?
Customer Comments : A reader from NSW, Australia , December 11, 1998
More of
rave about unsustainability than about biomimicry The purported
subject of this
book is fascinating, however most of the book seems to be about
something else.
The
author lectures about current poor ecological practices (which were
"news" about
ten
years ago). I found very little in this book regarding actual progress
in
technologies that were inspired by biological systems. Rather
disappointing. A
reader from Atlanta, USA , November 23, 1998 Enlightening. The human
race may
have
a chance after all. Biomimicry gives an insight into where future
technology
could
take us without getting too technical on its explanations. Benyus
takes us into
variety of different natural world arenas and shows us how scientists
are
working to
use millions of years of evolution in our everyday lives. Mother
Nature is a
smart
cookie. We all should listen. --This text refers to the paperback
edition of
this
title A reader from Helsinki , July 26, 1998 Fascinating topic,
disappointing
book . Solar cells modeled after green plants, fibers stronger than
steel,
chemical
factories without pollution, ceramics as hard as abalone shell. Nature
has
invented
many things that outperform engineering feats, and this is book about
nature's
innovations. Biomimicry is a hard book to classify: it is partly a
popular
science
book (ca. 50%) but also a manifesto for sustainable development, a
collection of
mini-portraits of scientists, and wild speculation of future
engineering
applications. All of this is embedded in Benyus' personal odyssey of
figuring
out
what bio-mimetics is all about. Lack of clear focus makes this book a
difficult
read: in the middle, materials science exposee Benyus has decided to
describe
rock
climbing hobbies of some prominent materials scientists. A reader
from Ottawa,
Canada , May 28, 1998 This book will make you excited. The details
are complex
but
well explained, making for a very exciting and satisfying read.
Biomimicry is
elegantly written (not just a collection of separate chapters), with a
soft
personal
side to the story. The science will make you want to run out and
invest some
money!
Chapter on photosynthesis is life-changing!

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Agriculture bibliography Part 23, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/04/2000