market-farming - Agriculture bibliography Part 21

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Agriculture bibliography Part 21
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:04:23 -0500

The Healthy House Answer Book : Answers to the 133 Most Commonly Asked
Questions
by John Bower, Lynn Marie Bower Our Price: $8.95 Usually ships in 24
hours
Paperback - (March 1998) 192 pages
Reviews Building with Nature, Issue #18 This little book replaces
extensive
research and expensive consultants for those who need answers. The Q&A
format
makes
the information highly accessible; topic-centered chapters guide the
reader
toward
the appropriate question; and references lead the reader to sources of
further
information.
Book Description Do you have health concerns about interior paints,
flooring,
air
filters, water filters, drywall, treated wood, foundations, furnaces,
cabinets,
electromagnetic fields, insulation, or cleaning products? Do you
wonder what's
safe
to use--and what isn't? Well, here's a new book with the easy-to-read,
easy-to-understand, concise answers you've been searching for. If
you're
interested
in better health for your family, The Healthy House Answer Book is a
must-have
home
reference.
>From the Publisher : Among healthy housing books we publish, The
Healthy House
Answer Book by John and Lynn Bower is something a little different.
While the
rest
of our offerings in this field are thick, very comprehensive volumes,
this is a
smaller book in both size and depth--sort of a "pocket healthy housing
guidebook."
While covering the major concerns anyone would have about all aspects
of
construction and maintenance, all the information is presented in a
very concise
and A format. With subject chapters and a complete index, this is a
great
introductory book for anyone interested in the subject.
>From the Back Cover : You've got questions? We've got answers! Do you
have
health
concerns about interior paints, flooring, air filters, water filters,
drywall,
treated wood, foundations, furnaces, cabinets, electromagnetic fields,
insulation,
or cleaning products? Do you wonder what's safe to use--and what
isn't? Well,
here's
the book with the easy-to-read, easy-to-understand, concise answers
you've been
searching for. Be sure. Know the facts. If you're interested in better
health
for
your family, The Healthy House Answer Book is a must-have home
reference guide.
About the Author : John Bower (BS Purdue University, MA Ball State
University)
has
been involved with healthy house construction since 1984. He has
written
extensively
on the subject in several books (The Healthy House, Healthy House
Building, and
Understanding Ventilation) as well as in articles for such
publications as
Custom
Builder, The Journal of Light Construction, and Mother Earth News. In
addition,
he
has been an invited speaker at builders' conferences throughout the
U.S. and
Canada
sponsored by such organizations as the National Association of Home
Builders,
the
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the American Institute of
Architects.
In
1991, he was honored with a Professional Achievement Award for
"healthy house
advocacy" from Professional Builder magazine. He is currently serving
on the
Editorial Advisory Board of Indoor Environment Review. Lynn Marie
Bower has a
BS
in education (magna cum laude) from Western Michigan University. She
has been a
public school teacher, and an accomplished graphic designer and fine
artist. She
became personally interested in the subject of healthier houses when
she
acquired
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) nearly two decades ago during a
home
remodeling
project. Since that time she has written scores of articles on
creating and
maintaining a healthier lifestyle, and has co-edited a statewide MCS
support-group
newsletter. Her previous book, The Healthy Household, continues to be
well-reviewed and is a popular classic in its field.
Excerpted from The Healthy House Answer Book : Answers to the 133 Most
Commonly
Asked Questions by John Bower and Lynn Marie Bower. Introduction. If
we would've
been asked us in 1976, when we bought our first house, if indoor
pollution was
an
important issue, we probably wouldn't have thought so. But we would
have been
wrong.
A government report has stated that "Indoor air pollution...accounts
for 50% of
all
illness (and) health care costs (from its effects) are estimated at
$100 billion
per
year." That's an astounding statement. Think about all the times you,
a friend,
or a
family member have been sick. Half of all those illnesses were
probably caused
by
poor indoor air quality. What we're talking about includes all forms
of
illness.
Perhaps that case of the sniffles was due to a dust-mite allergy, or
when you
thought you had the flu, it was because of a malfunctioning chimney.
Your
grandfather's lung cancer may have been due to radon gas, and your
daughter's
menstrual irregularities could have been caused by the formaldehyde
given off by
the
kitchen cabinets. Many people have heard of Sick Building Syndrome.
>From time
time, the news media reports on a new office building where some
employees are
mysteriously ill. These people are healthy when they're away from
work, but as
soon
as they get back on the job, they experience a variety of symptoms.
Well, guess
what? Houses can be sick too. We all have different levels of
tolerance. In a
sick
office building, the air might only be bad enough to affect 10% of the
workers.
Similarly, houses usually aren't so bad that everyone gets seriously
ill. In
fact,
in a typical sick house, there's usually only one person affected.
It's common
for
other family members, who feel OK, to label the sick person a
hypochondriac.
One
of the illnesses that's increasingly being recognized is a condition
called
Multiple
Chemical Sensitivity (MCS). People with MCS are much more sensitive
than the
rest of
the population to common indoor air pollutants. Like all illnesses,
there are
degrees of MCS. Some reports have estimated that it affects up to 15%
of the
population. We learned about MCS the hard way a few years after we
bought out
first
house. That house wasn't much to look at--it was a dilapidated old
farm house
that
was built in the 1850s. Between 1976 and 1982, we completely rebuilt
much of the
inside and outside ourselves--while we were living in it. We were
proud of the
end
result and where honored with a preservation award from the county
historical
society. But the exposure to all the new construction materials
literally
destroyed
Lynn's health. It took us another couple of years to learn that many
common
building
products can make you sick. Frankly, we were shocked. We used the same
plywood,
cabinets, paints, and carpeting that anyone can buy at lumber yards
and
building-supply centers--and they almost destroyed Lynn. At first we
couldn't
figure out why she has so many different and unrelated symptoms. She
couldn't
sleep,
she had joint and muscle pain, couldn't digest food, couldn't think
straight,
had
inflamed sinuses, her hair and nails became brittle, she had
difficulty
breathing,
the odor of printing ink and new clothing bothered her. Then we heard
about MCS,
and
realized that our award-winning house had made her sick. We found out
that many
doctors have never heard of MCS, and that some simply don't believe
it's a valid
medical condition. On the other hand, hundreds of doctors specialize
in treating
MCS, and they see thousands of patients every day. For a referral,
contact the
American Academy of Environmental Medicine[...] Since learning about
MCS, and
how
bad the air is in most houses, we've devoted out lives to spreading
the word
about
why houses make people sick and, more importantly, how to create
healthy houses.
We've found that, even though many everyday materials are unhealthy,
there are
hundreds of other products that are inert. This book discusses those
healthy
alternatives and includes addresses for some that you may have
difficulty
finding
locally. Many of our answers include numbers in parentheses that refer
to other
questions and answers containing additional relevant information.
We've found
that
every question has two answers, a short one a long one. For example,
it's
possible
to answer a particular question with either a single sentence, or an
entire
book.
What follows are relatively short answers, but they're certainly not
incomplete.
By
following the advice given in these pages, you can definitely improve
the
healthfulness of your house and your family--often considerably.
Even if
you're
after more in-depth information, this is an excellent book to start
with,
because it
will give you an overall background in all aspects of healthy housing.
John and
Lynn
Marie Bower, The Healthy House Institute

Clean and Green : The Complete Guide to Non-Toxic and Environmentally
Safe
Housekeeping
by Annie Berthold-Bond, Annie Berhold Bond Our Price: $8.95
Availability:
Usually
ships within 24 hours. Paperback Updated edition (October 1994)
Ceres Pr;
ISBN:
1886101019 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.35 x 8.20 x 5.25 Reviews The
publisher,
David Goldbeck dgoldbeck AT aol.com , January 5, 1999 This is a very
valuable book.
This book changed my life in a small but significant way. I am now
free of
expensive, polluting ugly-scented cleaning supplies. (Formulas
actually cover
wood
finishes, car cleaning, spot removal, etc. - just about anything you
need in
this
category of products.) Annie's recipes are simple, easy to follow and
generally
employ common ingredients. I simply reuse empty spray and other
bottles for the
formulas. (One tip is to put the recipe right on the bottle covered
with tape -
for
ease of refill. If success is any sign of the value of a book - the
nearly
100,000
people who bought this book have proved its value!
Customer Comments : A reader from Michigan , October 19, 1998 Very
thorough.
Annie
Berthold-Bond's recommendations for cleaning recipes are compact,
exact, and
varied.
Recipes are included for nearly every cleaning situation encountered
in
households
today. The book may seem short and lacking the discussion typical of
many "stay
green" books. Don't let this fool you. When you just want to choose a
good
cleaning
recipe (they're conveniently ordered by type of cleaning situation)
using
ingredients you probably already have in your home, then this book is
the one to
choose.

The Green Kitchen Handbook : Practical Advice, References, and Sources
for
Transforming the Center of Your Home into a Healthy, Livable Place
by Annie Berthold-Bond, Mother, Others for a Livable Planet, me
Streep, Meryl
Streep
List Price: $15.00 Our Price: $12.00 You Save: $3.00 (20%)
Availability:
Usually
ships within 24 hours. Paperback - 304 pages (March 1997)
HarperCollins
(paper);
ISBN: 0060951869 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.28 x 5.01 x 8.65
Reviews From Booklist , March 15, 1997 Berthold-Bond's practical
guide answers
dozens of questions environmentally conscientious and curious cooks
have
wondered
about for years, such as the geographic origin of common healthful
foods, their
processing or production, and what makes them healthful or not. High
points are
the
detailed discussion of oils and their uses, fatty acid profiles, and
smoke
points;
the microbiology and biochemistry of food preservation in lay
language, along
with
step-by-step procedures for freezing, drying, canning, and preparing a
root
cellar;
a survey of organic agriculture and its standards; and suggestions on
how to
reduce
food packaging and its attendant toxins and nonbiodegradable waste.
The last
section
covers nonfood issues, including household hazardous waste,
alternative and safe
cleaning supplies and pest control, water purity and conservation,
energy-saving
appliances, and equipment choices. Well formatted for easy reference,
this
handbook
offers numerous charts of equivalencies, substitutions, and cooking
times and
concludes with a resource list and an index. Penny Spokes Copyright
1997,
American
Library Association. All rights reserved
Synopsis A comprehensive, sensible guide to maintaining the health of
the
kitchen
offers a wide range of economical and environmentally sound
alternatives for the
home, with helpful advice on additives, organic foods, kitchen
appliances,
canning,
and more. 40,000 first printing. $30,000 ad/promo. Synopsis
Featuring
everything
from lessons on reading labels on packaged foods to buying organic,
from canning
and
community gardening to creating a root cellar, this unique handbook
offers
suggestions for economical and environmentally conscious alternatives
which make
keeping a green kitchen a viable, practical option. Maintaining an
ecologically
sound kitchen makes cooking and eating more enjoyable and contributes
to the
well-being of the environment and your health and family. The Green
Kitchen
Handbook
offers a wealth of practical advice, references, and sources for
turning your
kitchen into a healthful, livable space. It contains simple tips for
immediate
use:
how to buy organic foods as inexpensively and conveniently as
supermarket foods,
how
to clean and control pests with nontoxic materials, what to look for
on food
labels,
and how to reduce packaging. It also offers advice for more ambitious
solutions,
including information on canning, creating a root cellar, foraging,
and joining
community environmental projects. In addition, there are valuable
insights on
how to
buy seasonal, fresh, local foods; how to avoid processed foods and
refined
sugars;
how to recognize the hidden costs in commercial packaging; the best
way to
prepare
and store foods; and how to embrace the "new green diet" without
wasting time
and
money.
>From the Publisher The Green Kitchen Handbook contains basic tips on
and simple
solutions to: what to look for on packaged food labels, how to
recognize which
food
additives to avoid, and how to buy organic foods as inexpensively and
conveniently
as supermarket foods. And it offers advice for more ambitious projects
including
information on canning, creating root cellars, buying kitchen
appliances, and
joining community gardens. The Green Kitchen Handbook also includes
valuable
insights on how to buy local foods in season; how to avoid excess fat,
sugars,
and
salt; where to locate the best food sources; preparing and storing
foods; and
integrating the principles of keeping a green kitchen with your daily
routine.
This unique handbook offers economical and environmentally conscious
alternatives
that make keeping a green kitchen simple, sensible, and delicious.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Agriculture bibliography Part 21, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/04/2000