market-farming - Re: Asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Asparagus
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 02:16:26 -0500

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 23:33:17, "Andy" <andy.fellenz AT worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>I'm thinking of starting an asparagus bed this spring and am curious as to
>experiences marketing asparagus - which varieties seem to do best at
>Farmers Markets or on-farm sales.

I would imagine asparagus would be a big seller most anywhere. I am
sure that growing it in well prepared beds with plenty of manure will
result in a robust and reliable crop. You will need to thin the
planting and strive to maintain the fertility and tilth of the bed.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Re: Asparagus, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 02/18/2000