market-farming - Re: MEN article-Eliot Coleman-winter production

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: MEN article-Eliot Coleman-winter production
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:55:49 -0500

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 01:55:41 PST, "William McKay"
<bmckay55 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

>One of the real challenges with this is water. One of the reasons Coleman
>is able to do better than I (our climates are similar) is that he keeps his
>soil moist. He can do this because he has water pipes going into his
>greenhouse. In the evening, water vapor freezes on the remay cloth &
>creates a fairly imprevious heat barrier.

Find an old cast iron bathtub. Set it up on concrete blocks in the
greenhouse, fill it with water and put some type of heat source
underneath: vented gas, kerosene, or wood stove.
Steam given off will warm the air and keep your plants safe.

  • Re: MEN article-Eliot Coleman-winter production, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 02/14/2000