machinist - [machinist] More Tramming | tramming a mill

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] More Tramming | tramming a mill
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:30:29 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/more-tramming-280130/

  1. 02-13-2014, 11:43 AM #1
    Conrad Hoffman's Avatar
    Conrad Hoffman is online now Stainless
    May 2009
    Location
    Canandaigua, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,587

    Default More Tramming

    OK, yet another tramming question. For the things I make, flatness is important. Multiple passes of a small cutter can't leave slightly tilted parallel paths, not even tenths. When I use a fly cutter, a dished surface is a big no no. 1) Does it make sense to put a bar in the vise and make a cut in the X direction, and then tram off that surface? IMO, that surface is now parallel to the travel, which is what I want, not the table or vise surfaces, which may not be perfect. Then do same for Y. 2) I know I can measure this, but it would annoy people if I did, so how good or bad are those Kurt swivel bases under a 6" Kurt vise? In fact, how good are the vises.

    What I'm after is a surface that can be quickly lapped to flat, and the regular methods aren't quite good enough. Sure, any surface can be lapped, but I'm lazy. I want it closer to start with. I know a surface grinder would solve all, but the shop ain't got one.
  2. 02-13-2014, 11:46 AM #2
    jrmach is offline Stainless
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Boise,Idaho USA
    Posts
    1,068

    Sand it on a surface plate after milling as good as you can.
    4miller1 likes this.
  3. 02-13-2014, 12:04 PM #3
    michiganbuck is offline Stainless
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,342

    I think getting dead tram is next to impossible on most mills. For a large circle like tree panning tool even though it may look good it is often not near flat. .0001 or .0002 per inch is much in 4 inches. Scallops with a 2 inch fly or cutter may look worse but may be actually better. Much like What you mention.

    We had lapping plates of cast iron with grove lines and with checking them for flatness every once and while, and careful hand held figure 8 and turning could make flat and finish. Using Clover compound. Steel plate should work OK.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lapping-Mach...item1e86f02c68

    Any plate of iron grooved and then sent to a good Blanchard (or surface grinding) shop for dead flat might make one for lower price.
    I once made a power lapping table of a car flywheel that was Blanchard ground and then mounted on a vertical shaft geard to turn at about 200 rpm.
  4. 02-13-2014, 12:05 PM #4
    tay2daizzo8 is offline Plastic
    Nov 2013
    Location
    north of Bean town
    Posts
    22

    hold lightly in machined aluminum jaws try and take one pass if this isnt possible cut in one direction only rough it down to .004 above finish then finish cit....cant say more without knowing material/size etc. i consistently get .0005 over 8.00 before lapping.
  5. 02-13-2014, 12:22 PM #5
    Metalcutter's Avatar
    Metalcutter is offline Titanium
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,627

    The tram has to be to the Table Travel (X and Y).

    The larger the indicator circle the better the tram.

    If you decide to mill a surface, then check it with the indicator, by having the table travel the distance, and check for no needle movement. Both axes. If you lock the knee don't unlock it, or you wont know where you are. Don't know your mill.

    Actually you are headed in the right direction. I'm trying to give you additional info.

    Regards,

    Stan-
  6. 02-13-2014, 12:26 PM #6
    JRIowa's Avatar
    JRIowa is offline Diamond
    May 2003
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    7,152

    You can't mill flat
    You can't turn flat
    You can get close with grinding.
    If you want something really, really flat, you need to lap. We do the 2 helium light band stuff all the time. That's flat within 0.0000232" That's so flat and smooth that if a fly tries to land on the part, he skids off and crashes.
    JR
  7. 02-13-2014, 12:43 PM #7
    adama is offline Diamond
    Dec 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    5,903

    Conventional milling is really not a reliable way of getting accuracy's in the sub thou range. Its were grinding and then lapping really come into there own. yes to a degree you can piss about and fight it and improve things. Then you can go by a cheap grinder and realise just how crappy at flat a milling machine really is. Chasing tenths on a grinder is as easy as chasing tenths of a inch on a milling machine if and only if you have the gear to measure at these levels.

    Above all you need to consider just how much surface finish really comes into play at these accuracy levels.
    thermite likes this.
  8. 02-13-2014, 01:37 PM #8
    Conrad Hoffman's Avatar
    Conrad Hoffman is online now Stainless
    May 2009
    Location
    Canandaigua, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,587

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalcutter View Post
    The tram has to be to the Table Travel (X and Y).

    The larger the indicator circle the better the tram.

    If you decide to mill a surface, then check it with the indicator, by having the table travel the distance, and check for no needle movement. Both axes. If you lock the knee don't unlock it, or you wont know where you are. Don't know your mill.

    Actually you are headed in the right direction. I'm trying to give you additional info.

    Regards,

    Stan-
    I think you're telling me what I suspected- the ideal tram is to to the actual travel, not so much to surfaces that may or may not be perfectly aligned to the travel. IOW, the table travel is not the table surface. I'm well aware of the rest of the stuff mentioned in this thread and I thought I was clear- I'm a lazy PITA who wants to lap as little as possible, and that means starting with something as close as I can get it.
  9. 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM #9
    Conrad Hoffman's Avatar
    Conrad Hoffman is online now Stainless
    May 2009
    Location
    Canandaigua, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,587

    Quote Originally Posted by JRIowa View Post
    You can't mill flat
    You can't turn flat
    You can get close with grinding.
    If you want something really, really flat, you need to lap. We do the 2 helium light band stuff all the time. That's flat within 0.0000232" That's so flat and smooth that if a fly tries to land on the part, he skids off and crashes.
    JR
    Yep, I've got a small Lapmaster and one can do rather well with good technique. Reminds me, I need to spend some time flattening the plate- the last job on it was a bit nasty. I think it was a boron abrasive and carbide parts.
  10. 02-13-2014, 06:37 PM #10
    Mike C. is offline Diamond
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    10,099

    You can get a lot flatter with a shaper or planer, as well. Having blued and hand scraped a Blanchard ground cast iron block versus one skimmed with my shaper, I'll take the shaper any day.
  11. 02-13-2014, 07:29 PM #11
    Spyderedge's Avatar
    Spyderedge is offline Cast Iron
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    377

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
    You can get a lot flatter with a shaper or planer, as well. Having blued and hand scraped a Blanchard ground cast iron block versus one skimmed with my shaper, I'll take the shaper any day.
    Not always, once the shaper ram wears it cuts the part in a convex pattern. It gets the part flat, but not perfectly flat.
  12. 02-13-2014, 07:34 PM #12
    RayG is online now Cast Iron
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    294

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    I think you're telling me what I suspected- the ideal tram is to to the actual travel, .
    No, you tram to the spindle axis.

    Ray
  13. 02-13-2014, 08:19 PM #13
    allloutmx's Avatar
    allloutmx is online now Stainless
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,838

    Ever think about using magnetic chuck on your mill?
  14. 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM #14
    Metalcutter's Avatar
    Metalcutter is offline Titanium
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,627

    Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    No, you tram to the spindle axis.

    Ray
    I thought that was, "Spindle perpendicular to the table travel."
    I think it's the spindle which has to move, so the spindle is trammed to the table travel.

    Regards,

    Stan-
  15. 02-13-2014, 08:35 PM #15
    RayG is online now Cast Iron
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    294

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalcutter View Post
    The tram has to be to the Table Travel (X and Y).

    The larger the indicator circle the better the tram.

    If you decide to mill a surface, then check it with the indicator, by having the table travel the distance, and check for no needle movement. Both axes. If you lock the knee don't unlock it, or you wont know where you are. Don't know your mill.

    Actually you are headed in the right direction. I'm trying to give you additional info.

    Regards,

    Stan-
    Wrong..... there will be no needle movement when the axis moves whether it's trammed or not... ( unless your ways are at an angle to the top of the table )

    The axis of the spindle is what you tram to. ( as already mentioned ) if it's not trammed to the spindle axis the cut will be convex ( I meant concave ) depending on the cutter radius and the amount it's out of tram.

    Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 02-13-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: concave not convex..
    Mike C. likes this.
  16. 02-13-2014, 08:37 PM #16
    Solo Inventor is online now Aluminum
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Delaware Valley, USA
    Posts
    127

    If you are trying to get your tramming down to tenths and you have a mill with both a knee and a quill, such as a Bridgeport, try setting it up so that you don't have to move the knee after tramming. Also try to minimize the movement of your quill and keep as much of it in the head as possible.

    I like your idea of machining a piece of scrap to get find the true line that the axis is moving along. The last time I needed a really good tram, I placed a sine plate on my mill table. I put a tenth indicator on the quill and adjusted the plate to read true when I cranked the axis back and forth. Then I trammed to the sine plate.
  17. 02-13-2014, 11:32 PM #17
    Mike C. is offline Diamond
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    10,099

    "Not always, once the shaper ram wears it cuts the part in a convex pattern. It gets the part flat, but not perfectly flat."

    And a worn out Bridgeport will make a convex, angled surface due to table bending and knee sag. Read my post. I said you will get a lot flatter surface. There will be no cupping due to the circular cutter. A Blanchard also has a circular cutter. When you load a circular cutter, it is GOING to flex to some degree and dip on the cutting side, giving you a low spot in the center. Ask anybody who was at the first Savannah, GA scraping session and they will confirm the Blanchard tiger stripes we all learned to hate when scraping our blocks down.
  18. 02-14-2014, 05:51 AM #18
    billmac is online now Hot Rolled
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    658

    Tramming a Bridgeport is one thing. Tramming a Deckel type mill with a universal table is a whole different thing. My mill table has tilt, tilt, swivel and slide in addition to the usual mill X,Y,Z axes. The spindle only has one axis, as compared to the Bridgeport's two. You need to think carefully what you are doing when you set this up - sequence of sweeping the table is important.
  19. 02-14-2014, 06:15 AM #19
    Heavey Metal is online now Titanium
    May 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,563

    Getting the stress out of your iron is important.

    A mill level and bearing equally on all feet, a workpiece clamped or maged down bearing on 3 swiveled points.

    Good point about working tram being more important than static tram.
  20. 02-14-2014, 10:35 AM #20
    michiganbuck is offline Stainless
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,342

    *Sorry for posting this twice but I made it to go in this OP and put in the other by mistake.

    The bearing race is a good idea as would also be anything true flat to get above table slots.,

    I am beginning to understand why there is confusion about tramming a mill and getting dead flat machining cut.

    *This is for tram, and then fine tuning tram as Conrad was looking for tenths not thousandths.

    Tram to the vise would only be good if the vise top was true to the table but even that would not be perfect.
    Tram to the table (X and Y) would only be good if the table was true to the bed or ways of the machine.

    X-(right and left 180*) First the spindle head should be adjusted tram to the X axis (long travel). A pair of 123 blocks would be OK for X but inadequate for tram the Y axis except to place them at front and back of table for Y.

    Y- (in and out 180 *) A swing in circle to the bearing race or simply to some true flat in order to be able to include a indicator swing (rotation) to the tram the Y axis (in and out 180 *). The table top, the bearing race, top of trued vise, flat or round true plate, any OK.

    Many mills have adjustment for one axis only so the second tram may need a shim rather that an adjustment.
    Now with spindle head Rough-Tram X and Y to a true face or the table (true flat vise, whatever) is made.

    Next the true tram could be found if that is required for .000? or so flat..

    To accomplish this one should mount a single point fly cutter to the head- inflict a cut along the top face of a part and travel for a distance. - look at cut lines and determine from a half circle cut the direction of head movement needed to tram. An indicator swing to this cut can aid in this final tram or a feeler to measure under non running tool. With looking at the cut direction choose the head (tram) movement to make a full circle cut and make that adjustment to tram.

    When a two way circle cut cross hatch is achieved in tool cut lines the machine(spindle head) will be tram and then able to cut a flat surface.

    Note:
    Being tram to only in the X or long axis could have the spindle head at angle to inflict a concave or convex attitude to the Y axis and so high precision flat machining could not be achieved in X or Y movement.

  • [machinist] More Tramming | tramming a mill, Lawrence London, 02/18/2014