machinist - [machinist] OT: Recommendations on headlamp for hands free work

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] OT: Recommendations on headlamp for hands free work
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:50:35 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ot-recommendations-headlamp-hands-free-work-280410/

  1. 02-18-2014, 12:23 PM #1
    manualmachinist is online now Cast Iron
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Battleground, Washington
    Posts
    433

    Question OT: Recommendations on headlamp for hands free work

    I need to purchase a wearable headlamp that will provide me with hands free capability for working on equipment, that provides a bright enough beam to be of help to an old pair of eyes.
    How about you guys help narrow the field for me to make a choice.
    willing to spend up to $100 to get an LED over 400 lumens.

    I know you guys are going to find me what I need!
    Thanks
    Tim
  2. 02-18-2014, 12:27 PM #2
    rbent is online now Cast Iron
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    487

    Over 400 lumens? Man thats a lot of light for a headlamp.

    I have and use a Black Diamond ReVolt headlamp, 110lumens and I really like it. Lightweight, rechargable with a USB cable, and easy to use.
  3. 02-18-2014, 12:34 PM #3
    manualmachinist is online now Cast Iron
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Battleground, Washington
    Posts
    433

    Quote Originally Posted by rbent View Post
    Over 400 lumens? Man thats a lot of light for a headlamp.

    I have and use a Black Diamond ReVolt headlamp, 110lumens and I really like it. Lightweight, rechargable with a USB cable, and easy to use.
    I want something that can provide bright illumination on objects at a distance. The further away stuff gets, the less light there is on what your trying to see.
    Sometimes I have to enter tanks, they act like a cave and soak up light.
  4. 02-18-2014, 12:39 PM #4
    Capp48 is offline Aluminum
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ohio, Cleveland
    Posts
    114

    T,
    This should fit the bill. They carry 500 up to 900 lumens. Fenix HP15 Headlamp - Fenix Tactical LED Flashlights - fenixtactical.com - fenix-led

    Ciao.
    John Welden and allloutmx like this.
  5. 02-18-2014, 12:44 PM #5
    Rob F. is online now Hot Rolled
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    920

    Magic shine, not sure on lumens but they are great. they use cree led "bulbs". A friend has a magic shine copy for his bike and loves it at $25 compared to the real magic shines at $100.
    Amazon.com: magicshine: Sports & Outdoors
    Some of the headlight kits have remote batterys- you get the bike light and head straps to use it on your head with a belt or pocket mounted battery. Some are head mounted battery. Shop around and read the small print.
    Rob
  6. 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM #6
    kb0thn is online now Cast Iron
    May 2008
    Location
    Winona, MN, USA
    Posts
    250

    Quote Originally Posted by manualmachinist View Post
    I need to purchase a wearable headlamp that will provide me with hands free capability for working on equipment, that provides a bright enough beam to be of help to an old pair of eyes.
    How about you guys help narrow the field for me to make a choice.
    willing to spend up to $100 to get an LED over 400 lumens.
    Tim,

    I like the Petzl Pixa 3. $75.
    Amazon.com: Petzl E78CHB PIXA 3 Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

    Clips directly onto Petzl hard hards / helmets.
    Petzl Pro Vertex Best Professional Helmet - Yellow: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

    I like the light so much that I have two of them. Can't be without it. I use it indoors and outdoors. Rain, snow, sleet, -40F. Rock solid. I've tried the $10 and $25 headlamps -- this thing is way better. It has three settings. The brightest setting is more focused and is very bright. The light will blink and giving you a warning when there is 30 to 60 minutes of battery power left.

    -Jim
  7. 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM #7
    CountryBoy19 is online now Aluminum
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bedford, IN
    Posts
    202

    I really like Princeton Tec headlamps. I am a flash-light-aholic (even build my own from scratch when market doens't provide what I want). I have hand-held lights too numerous to name all the manufacturers but Surefire, Fenix, Maglite, & 4Sevens are some of the better known makers. I have Petzl headlamps, various cheapo walmart specials, and Princeton Tec. My favorite headlamp, by far, is the Princeton Tec. I would check them out to see what their offerings are.

    That being said, for 400+ lumens Fenix, 4Sevens, etc are going to be very competitive because that is in the lumen range they typically deal in vs headlamps that are typically in the 20-150 lumen range.
  8. 02-18-2014, 03:47 PM #8
    kuraki556 is online now Cast Iron
    Aug 2010
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    373

    I don't own Fenix or 4Sevens head lamps because my 40 lumen Petzl is exactly what I need a headlamp for (close up work without blinding myself, runtime valued higher than output) but I have a number of lights from both of those companies that I've been nothing but happy with.

    I have a little bit of a light fetish. I have Fenix lights from AA 100 lumen to multiple 18650 600+ lumen, 4Sevens in multiple CR123 sizes, multiple Surefires from weapon lights to pocket lights, but right now my absolute favorite light up the world flood light is the conversion I made out of my 18v worklight that came with the drill/saw combo kit. Threw the guts out, turned a bronze heat sink, wired in a triple Cree XPG-2 with a flood lens and drive it at 1000ma
  9. 02-18-2014, 06:49 PM #9
    bosleyjr's Avatar
    bosleyjr is offline Diamond
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SE PA, Philly
    Posts
    4,034

    Quote Originally Posted by kuraki556 View Post
    I have a little bit of a light fetish. I have Fenix lights from AA 100 lumen to multiple 18650 600+ lumen, 4Sevens in multiple CR123 sizes, multiple Surefires from weapon lights to pocket lights, but right now my absolute favorite light up the world flood light is the conversion I made out of my 18v worklight that came with the drill/saw combo kit. Threw the guts out, turned a bronze heat sink, wired in a triple Cree XPG-2 with a flood lens and drive it at 1000ma
    Sick, but cool. You can both see the hole you're drilling, and signal an A320 for landing.
    Groovejivey likes this.
  10. 02-18-2014, 08:20 PM #10
    manualmachinist is online now Cast Iron
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Battleground, Washington
    Posts
    433

    Quote Originally Posted by Capp48 View Post
    T,
    This should fit the bill. They carry 500 up to 900 lumens. Fenix HP15 Headlamp - Fenix Tactical LED Flashlights - fenixtactical.com - fenix-led

    Ciao.
    Thanks Ciao,

    That looks like the Bomb!

    I have another Fenix hand held that I already have a charger and batteries for. I may look in to this,

    And Thanks to all of you guys who have responded thus far, I knew I asked the right guys!
  11. 02-18-2014, 08:35 PM

    Diamond

  12. 02-18-2014, 10:56 PM #12
    dbsuthe is offline Aluminum
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central California, USA
    Posts
    206

    I only have 7 or 8 headlamps.

    If you find the Fenix too bright for closeup work, I propose this little Rayovac as a nice middle of the road headlamp. It's a 60 lumen , 1 watt, 1AA lamp that has a nice focused beam that can show me what is on the other side of my back yard. It also has a clear diffuser that flips down to soften the beam for close up work. It runs for more than an hour at full brightness on a single rechargeable AA battery (sold separately) . Use the premium batteries and you get up to two hours.

    Rayovac Sportsman LED 1 Watt 1AA Headlight

    This is by go-to headlamp when I'm working on things were a flashlight, floodlight, searchlight,work-light, tasklight, candle or torch is not appropriate. Since I have around 100 lights in my collection, that's saying something.

    Dan
  13. 02-19-2014, 08:08 AM #13
    CountryBoy19 is online now Aluminum
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bedford, IN
    Posts
    202

    Quote Originally Posted by kuraki556 View Post
    but right now my absolute favorite light up the world flood light is the conversion I made out of my 18v worklight that came with the drill/saw combo kit. Threw the guts out, turned a bronze heat sink, wired in a triple Cree XPG-2 with a flood lens and drive it at 1000ma
    I've been wanting to do that because the incan bulb in my 18V work-light only lasts a couple hours. I figure I can drop in a couple 1200 Lumen 3 mode heads into a custom heat sink and run for at least 8 hours on a full charge and have a much brighter work light (with different brightness settings).

    My favorite "wow them all" light is the 2D to 6 Series-AA LED conversion I did on a mag-lite. It's running a custom built 1200 lumen head that I made from scratch (turned my heat-sink and assembled the reflector, driver, LED into it.). I used a spot reflector so I can get good range out of it. I can get reflected light at 1/4 mile but practical illumination range (like you're looking for something in the dark) is limited to about ~250 yards.
  14. 02-19-2014, 09:07 AM #14
    Tyrone Shoelaces is online now Titanium
    Send a message via AIM to Tyrone Shoelaces
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    2,807

    I bought one a while ago. The idea seemed just the job for working on Hor Bore spindle frames etc. It sounds stupid but I just can't seem to get my head around it so to speak. I can't get it to point where I want it to. It's in a drawer somewhere. Regards Tyrone.
  15. 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM #15
    Philabuster's Avatar
    Philabuster is online now Titanium
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    2,176

    Quote Originally Posted by manualmachinist View Post
    Thanks Ciao,

    That looks like the Bomb!

    I have another Fenix hand held that I already have a charger and batteries for. I may look in to this,

    And Thanks to all of you guys who have responded thus far, I knew I asked the right guys!
    If you have a charger for 18650 lithium batteries, check out the newer Zebralight headlamps. The 18650 models cost $89 and are pushing over 1000+ lumens on high. They have 11 different brightness levels at the click of a button from blinding bright to so dim you will think, damn, is this thing even on?

    The other advantage the Zebralights have over other headlamps is they can be handheld like a 'right angle' flashlight if so desired.

    I absolutely LOVE my Zebralight SC600w I bought 2 years ago with 650 lumens. I even bought a spare just in case. I was blown away when they came out with the MK II models which were 2x brighter and 1/4" shorter overall length. Yep, I bought one of those too.

    Zebralight's website is a bit erratic on showing updated inventory though. Many times it says backordered on an item but the light gets delivered in a few days. Online retailers who carry Zebralights usually have them in stock.

    H600w Mk II 18650 XM-L2 Headlamp Neutral White

    Headlamps : Illumination Supply, Quality Flashlights and More!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zebralight-h600-headlamp.jpg
  16. 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM #16
    manualmachinist is online now Cast Iron
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Battleground, Washington
    Posts
    433

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I bought one a while ago. The idea seemed just the job for working on Hor Bore spindle frames etc. It sounds stupid but I just can't seem to get my head around it so to speak. I can't get it to point where I want it to. It's in a drawer somewhere. Regards Tyrone.
    Gee Tyrone, the type that I'm interested in, goes around your head not the other way around.
  17. 02-19-2014, 09:32 AM #17
    Milacron's Avatar
    Milacron is online now Diamond
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    43,357

    A3 EOS.... not a headlamp, regular LED flashlight...but so small and lightweight you can easily hold it in your mouth. And so small it can be in your pants pocket at all times without discomfort. Three brightness settings, the third setting unbelievably bright but the AAA battery will give out quickly on that setting so I usually use the middle bright setting for working on electronics, etc. Holding in mouth has added advantage of manipulation of beam angle at a whim...once you get the hang of it.

    http://www.amazon.com/iTP-A3-EOS-Fla.../dp/B006K5C2EG

    Comes with a keychain...but I cut that off.
  18. 02-19-2014, 09:34 AM #18
    manualmachinist is online now Cast Iron
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Battleground, Washington
    Posts
    433

    Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
[...]

    Thanks for the Link Philabuster,

    Great looking stuff.
    Keep em coming guys!
  19. 02-19-2014, 09:42 AM #19
    Heavey Metal is online now Titanium
    May 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,566

    Drill a hole in the bill of a baseball cap and attach one of these.

    ProTac® Series - ProTac HL® | Streamlight
  20. 02-19-2014, 09:50 AM #20
    Milacron's Avatar
    Milacron is online now Diamond
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    43,357

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavey Metal View Post
    Drill a hole in the bill of a baseball cap and attach one of these.

    ProTac® Series - ProTac HL® | Streamlight
    Way too heavy for that situation. The ProTac HL weighs 159 grams, the A3 EOS weighs 20 grams with the battery.

  • [machinist] OT: Recommendations on headlamp for hands free work, Lawrence London, 02/19/2014