machinist - [machinist] Name for a bolt threaded full length

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Name for a bolt threaded full length
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 21:19:12 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/name-bolt-threaded-full-length-279384/

  1. 01-31-2014, 12:32 PM #1
    Bill D is offline Titanium
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    2,657

    Default Name for a bolt threaded full length

    Trying to find some 12mm 1.75 hex head bolts that are threaded clear up to the head. Most I see are threaded about half way up then solid round shaft to the underside of the head. Is there a special name for the ones that are threaded all the way. If I had a die I could thread the extra bit but since these are leveling feet for my lathe I can not single point them on the lathe right now. Easier, and probably cheaper, to buy them anyway.
    Bill D.

    PS: A tip: I am going to solder a washer under the head so the washer stays in place to stop a wrench from falling down off the head. The washer will not actually touch anything and is not really needed. Of course the hold down bolts will have washers that float and rotate like any normal washer.

    Forgot to say only need four, about 60mm long. I could buy metric all thread and weld on 3/4" nuts but for 4 bolts seems like some work. I will have to check the local bolt store this afternoon and see what they have in stock.
  2. 01-31-2014, 12:34 PM #2
    ewlsey is offline Titanium
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    3,614

    I believe they are called tap bolts.

    If you plan on soldering anyway, buy some threaded rod and solder nuts on.
    Rob F. likes this.
  3. 01-31-2014, 12:35 PM #3
    digger doug is offline Titanium
    Oct 2005
    Location
    erie,pa
    Posts
    2,849

    Buy nuts WITH washer face, weld to all thread.
  4. 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM #4
    Toms Wheels's Avatar
    Toms Wheels is offline Titanium
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,147

    Flanged Nuts welded to allthread rod
  5. 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM #5
    wippin' boy is offline Diamond
    Sep 2005
    Location
    il.
    Posts
    5,144

    the term is "full thread"
    mcm has many I did not look for your particular bolt though
    Rob F. likes this.
  6. 01-31-2014, 12:47 PM #6
    tjb1 is offline Aluminum
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Williamsport, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    57

    You didn't state a length.

    Metric tap bolts, Class 10.9 steel plain finish, 12mm x 1.75mm - Bolt Depot

    Flange bolts fully threaded to 40mm

    McMaster-Carr
  7. 01-31-2014, 12:57 PM #7
    hobbyman is offline Aluminum
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, BC
    Posts
    131

    I have always known them as " cap screws"
    oldbrock likes this.
  8. 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM #8
    pistonskirt is offline Hot Rolled
    May 2004
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon, England
    Posts
    917

    In the UK

    Hex set screw = hex head fully threaded

    Hex bolt = hex head with unthreaded portion

    An M12 washer head set screw (where the washer is formed integral with the hexagon) would suit your purpose though I only remember purchasing washer head bolts.

    regards

    Brian
    andrewmawson likes this.
  9. 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM #9
    Mark Rand is offline Titanium
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rugby, Warwickshire. England
    Posts
    2,659

    Quote Originally Posted by pistonskirt View Post
    In the UK

    Hex set screw = hex head fully threaded

    Hex bolt = hex head with unthreaded portion

    An M12 washer head set screw (where the washer is formed integral with the hexagon) would suit your purpose though I only remember purchasing washer head bolts.

    regards

    Brian
    Plus:- Grub screw = what the US calls a set screw.
    andrewmawson likes this.
  10. 01-31-2014, 02:21 PM #10
    tjb1 is offline Aluminum
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Williamsport, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Plus:- Grub screw = what the US calls a set screw.
    Not all of the US...
    Mark Rand likes this.
  11. 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM #11
    Metal Head's Avatar
    Metal Head is offline Cast Iron
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    347

    Full thread hex cap screw
  12. 01-31-2014, 02:31 PM #12
    Tyrone Shoelaces is offline Titanium
    Send a message via AIM to Tyrone Shoelaces
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    2,691

    Fully threaded - set screws in my part of the World. Regards Tyrone.
  13. 01-31-2014, 03:37 PM #13
    alex71's Avatar
    alex71 is online now Hot Rolled
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Libertyville, IL
    Posts
    530

    metric full thread coarse hex bolt is DIN 933. any names or nicknames don't matter.

    Alex
  14. 01-31-2014, 05:24 PM #14
    adama is offline Diamond
    Dec 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    5,824

    Set screws are what you want. At least in this corner of suffolk.
    andrewmawson likes this.
  15. 01-31-2014, 06:16 PM #15
    Nifty is online now Plastic
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gosford,NSW, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    3

    Default bolts with full vthreads

    Downunder, we call the pesky things "set screws" just like our pommy counterparts:-)
    andrewmawson and Mark Rand like this.
  16. 01-31-2014, 07:06 PM #16
    Mark Rand is offline Titanium
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rugby, Warwickshire. England
    Posts
    2,659

    it's that 'separated by a common language'* thing again.

    *The language gets very common when you realise that you need to run a die up the bolt to turn it into a set screw
  17. 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM #17
    oldbrock is online now Hot Rolled
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Glade BC, Canada
    Posts
    618

    I also have known them as cap screws, been machining 65 years and have never heard them referred to and anything else.
  18. 01-31-2014, 07:32 PM #18
    Ludasmith is online now Aluminum
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    159

    All thread double nutted maybe? You can even put a washer in between the two nuts.

    Usually found in the "screw it, I'm sick of looking" aisle, somewhere in the back corner of the shop.
  19. 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM #19
    James H Clark is online now Cast Iron
    May 2011
    Location
    southern in.
    Posts
    352

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Plus:- Grub screw = what the US calls a set screw.
    Mark: I have always known grub screws to have either a sharp point or a sharp edged circular end to embed into the shaft. Set screws usually had a flat end or a flat pointed end. Might be a Midwest thing possibly.

    JH
  20. 01-31-2014, 08:03 PM #20
    sawz5 is online now Aluminum
    Mar 2006
    Location
    greenfield, illinois
    Posts
    66

    They are referred to as cap screws. On bolt you get the same amount of threads whether the bolt is 2"or 6" long.

  • [machinist] Name for a bolt threaded full length, Lawrence London, 01/31/2014