machinist - [machinist] Equation Question

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Equation Question
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 21:22:09 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/equation-question-279285/

  1. Equation Question

    Q:- Three blocks are used to tilt a sine plate. The total height of the three blocks is 4.5 inches. The first block is 3 times as thick as the second block. The second block is twice as thick as the third block. How thick is each block ?

    My solution is like this 3(x) + 2(x) + x = 4.5''
    3x + 2x + x = 6x
    6x=4.5
    x=4.5/6
    x=0.75

    formula is 3(x) + 2(x) + x = 4.5''

    3(0.75) + 2(0.75) + 0.75 = 4.5''
    2.25'' + 1.5'' + 0.75'' = 4.5''
    4.5'' = 4.5''

    Now , according to answer mention in book it is , 0.5'', 1'' , 3''
    Can any one tell me where am i wrong or are Smith & Peterson, Mathematics for Machine Technology mentioned wrong , hope they will be right but HOW ?

    Thanks
    Asad
  2. 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM #2
    janvanruth is offline Plastic
    Oct 2013
    Location
    netherlands eindhoven
    Posts
    48

    first block=q
    second =2q
    third =3x2q so 6q

    q+2q+6q=9q
    9q=4.5inch
    1q= 0.5 inch
    Red James and oldbrock like this.
  3. 01-29-2014, 04:55 PM #3
    Dan Cassaro is offline Aluminum
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    114

    Call the three blocks a, b, and c

    a=3b
    b=2c

    We also know that a+b+c=4.5

    So, we can rewrite that as: (substituting 3b for a)
    3b+b+c=4.5
    and then...
    3b+b+b/2=4.5
    grouping like terms...
    4.5b= 4.5
    OK, so b = 1.
    a=3(1) or 3
    b=1
    b=2c, which = c=b/2
    c=.5

    So,
    3+1+.5=4.5
    Big B likes this.
  4. 01-29-2014, 04:55 PM #4
    asadkazmi is offline Plastic
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11

    @janvanruth thanks third is 3X2, i misunderstood the question
  5. 01-29-2014, 04:56 PM #5
    asadkazmi is offline Plastic
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11

    Dan , that's an easy way. thanks a lot
  6. 01-29-2014, 04:59 PM #6
    jim rozen is offline Diamond
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    20,864

    You mis-wrote your equation a bit.

    Do it a slightly different way.

    First block = x
    Second = y
    Third = z

    So by the conditions:

    x = 3y
    y = 2z

    and x + y + z = 4.5

    So sub in:

    3y + y + 0.5y = 4.5

    so y (second block) = 1

    and so on.

    When you wrote the equation the second term is in error.
    asadkazmi likes this.
  7. 01-29-2014, 05:07 PM #7
    asadkazmi is offline Plastic
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11

    jim that is very easy. Thanks
  8. 01-30-2014, 12:33 AM #8
    oldbrock is online now Hot Rolled
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Glade BC, Canada
    Posts
    618

    I like x for the third block, 2x for the second block and 6x for the third block
    6x + 2x + x = 4.5 9x = 4.5 x = 4.5/9 = 1/2 or 0.5
    blocks are 0.5, 1.0 and 3.0
    asadkazmi and Polaraligned like this.
  9. 01-30-2014, 01:24 AM #9
    RayG is online now Aluminum
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    188

    Hi Asad,

    The secret to exams is to be extra careful when you read the question, Read as many times as it takes to be clear.

    Trick questions are always good.. A rooster lays an egg on the table of a crappy chinese mill, the table traverses rapidly from X=-100 to X=+100, which way does the egg roll off?

    (a) -ve X direction
    (b) +ve X direction
    (c) neither

    Ray
    Eric M likes this.
  10. 01-30-2014, 01:45 AM #10
    janvanruth is offline Plastic
    Oct 2013
    Location
    netherlands eindhoven
    Posts
    48

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Hi Asad,

    The secret to exams is to be extra careful when you read the question, Read as many times as it takes to be clear.

    Trick questions are always good.. A rooster lays an egg on the table of a crappy chinese mill, the table traverses rapidly from X=-100 to X=+100, which way does the egg roll off?

    (a) -ve X direction
    (b) +ve X direction
    (c) neither

    Ray

    Trick questions should also be precise.
    Important tot know is whether the egg is boiled or not.
    oldbrock and RayG like this.
  11. 01-30-2014, 02:08 AM #11
    Chip Chester's Avatar
    Chip Chester is offline Stainless
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,543

    And is that egg-laying rooster pre-op or post-op?

    Chip
    toolsteel, Dan Cassaro and RayG like this.
  12. 01-30-2014, 03:15 AM #12
    dian is offline Hot Rolled
    Feb 2010
    Location
    ch
    Posts
    528

    actually you dont need any algebra to solve that. just make a drawing. e.g.: first block is 3x, second is 1x, so third is 1/2x. x is 4.5"/9 = 1/2".
    asadkazmi likes this.
  13. 01-30-2014, 03:18 AM #13
    Sea Farmer is offline Titanium
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,169

    And that moldy old classic: An LP phonograph record (remember those?) plays at 33 and 1/3 rpm. It plays for 23 minutes on the first side, and 27 minutes on the second side.

    How many grooves are in the record?
    asadkazmi and RayG like this.
  14. 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM #14
    Royldean is offline Cast Iron
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Schwenksville, PA
    Posts
    437

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Farmer View Post
    How many grooves are in the record?
    Never heard this one, but after doing some math and just about ready to post an answer in the thousands..... I rethought and got the trick...

    Is the answer "2"?
  15. 01-30-2014, 08:30 AM #15
    asadkazmi is offline Plastic
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11

    @RayG : how on this earth a rooster can lay an egg ? so answer is 'neither' but even if he lay an egg then it will also not move due to inertia , isn't it ?
    oldbrock likes this.
  16. 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM #16
    janvanruth is offline Plastic
    Oct 2013
    Location
    netherlands eindhoven
    Posts
    48

    Quote Originally Posted by asadkazmi View Post
    @RayG : how on this earth a rooster can lay an egg ? so answer is 'neither' but even if he lay an egg then it will also not move due to inertia , isn't it ?
    depends upon whether it is boiled or not
    a boiled egg will move a litttle
    an unboiled egg just a little more
  17. 01-30-2014, 05:11 PM #17
    jim rozen is offline Diamond
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    20,864

    "How many grooves are in the record?"

    All of them!

    =)
    RayG and oldbrock like this.
  18. 01-30-2014, 09:09 PM #18
    RayG is online now Aluminum
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    188

    Quote Originally Posted by asadkazmi View Post
    @RayG : how on this earth a rooster can lay an egg ? so answer is 'neither' but even if he lay an egg then it will also not move due to inertia , isn't it ?
    Yes, I thought about this as well, the correct answer is neither, because there is no egg. Unless it's a post-op sex change rooster with a madonna complex.

    But the question remains, IF there was an egg which way would it roll, the answer is probably both ways, first to the -ve side as the table accelerates in a +ve direction, then to the +ve side as the table decellerates on it's trapezoidal velocity profile, whether it rolls off the table will depend on exact values for accel, decell and length of table etc.. etc.. so the answer is, none of the above.

    Ray

    PS.. and of course whether it was hard-boiled.
  19. 01-30-2014, 09:15 PM #19
    Big B is offline Hot Rolled
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    685

    Dan,

    Are you an algebra teacher or did you just finish an algebra class?

    Big B

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cassaro View Post
    Call the three blocks a, b, and c

    a=3b
    b=2c

    We also know that a+b+c=4.5

    So, we can rewrite that as: (substituting 3b for a)
    3b+b+c=4.5
    and then...
    3b+b+b/2=4.5
    grouping like terms...
    4.5b= 4.5
    OK, so b = 1.
    a=3(1) or 3
    b=1
    b=2c, which = c=b/2
    c=.5

    So,
    3+1+.5=4.5
  20. 01-31-2014, 03:21 AM #20
    Sea Farmer is offline Titanium
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,169

    Quote Originally Posted by Royldean View Post
    Never heard this one, but after doing some math and just about ready to post an answer in the thousands..... I rethought and got the trick...

    Is the answer "2"?
    Yup. You got it

sorry, a pound is a pound.
Really that is right but points out the problem with weight measurements like "pound" vs mass measurements like kilogram. The conditions under which the same piece of brick are measured will have a significant impact on the reading obtained. Take the same brick under water and its measured weight will be different. But a kilogram of brick is the same in space, under water, at the equator, or on top of Mt Everest. The pound of material under one condition witll measure differently under all these conditions.

This is a confusing area where somewhat different definition of pound are commonly used. From Wikipedia:
"The pound or pound force (symbol: lb, lbf, lbf) is a unit of force in some systems of measurement including English engineering units and British gravitational units.[1]
Contents

[hide]

Definitions[edit]

The pound-force is equal to the gravitational force exerted on a mass of one avoirdupois pound on the surface of Earth. Since the 18th century, the unit has been used in low-precision measurements, for which small changes in Earth's gravity (which varies from place to place by up to half a percent) can safely be neglected.[2]
The 20th century, however, brought the need for a more precise definition. A standardized value for acceleration due to gravity was therefore needed. Today, in accordance with theGeneral Conference on Weights and Measures, standard gravity is usually taken to be 9.80665 m/s2 (32.174 049 ft/s2).[3][4]
The acceleration of the standard gravitational field (gn) and the international avoirdupois pound (lbm) define the pound-force as:[5]
<>
In some contexts, the term "pound" is used almost exclusively to refer to the unit of force and not the unit of mass. In those applications, the preferred unit of mass is the slug, i.e. lbf·s2/ft. In other contexts, the unit "pound" refers to a unit of mass. In circumstances where there may otherwise be ambiguity, the symbols "lbf" and "lbm" and the terms "pounds-force" and "pounds-mass" can be used to distinguish.
<>
In the gravitational systems, the weight of the mass unit (pound-mass) on Earth's surface is approximately equal to the force unit (pound-force). This is convenient because one pound mass exerts one pound force due to gravity. Note, however, unlike the other systems the force unit is not equal to the mass unit multiplied by the acceleration unit[8]—the use of Newton's Second Law, F = m·a, requires another factor, gc, usually taken to be 32.174049 lbm·ft/lbf·s2 = 32.174049 lbm/slug. "Absolute" systems are coherent systems of units: by using the slug as the unit of mass, the "engineering" FPS system avoids the need for such a constant. The SI is an "absolute" metric system with kilogram and meter as base units..."

So, we really have to define which system we are using. Otherwise there can be disagreement over such seemingly simple questions. In one system the pound is defined as a specific fraction of a kilo.

Denis

  • [machinist] Equation Question, Lawrence London, 01/31/2014