machinist - [machinist] OT Simplest software to use for basic updating of website

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] OT Simplest software to use for basic updating of website
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:01:14 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ot-simplest-software-use-basic-updating-website-279369/#post2216710

  1. 01-31-2014, 08:03 AM #1
    AndyF is online now Stainless
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Phelps, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,358

    I have a website hosted by Yahoo that needs a few simple updates - changing some contact names, updating some downloadable *.pdf forms and replacing or deleting a few images. My son built the site for me a few years ago using Dreamweaver.

    What would be the quickest, easiest, lowest learning curve way to update the site? The last time I needed to make any changes, I just opened the .html pages and added/deleted on them, but this was a PITA because I couldn't see how my changes would appear until I re-opened the page on my website.
  2. 01-31-2014, 08:38 AM #2
    gustafson is online now Cast Iron
    Sep 2002
    Location
    gloucester ma
    Posts
    473

    You can look at your pages on your computer by just opening them in your browser. Since you should have the pages on your computer already, just edit them in whatever program you wish{I use wordpad] and then save them. Double clicking on them in your computer should open them in your default browser. page to page links may not work depending on how you wrote them, but you can look at everything before you ever upload it live.

    those page under construction things drive me nuts, it takes 30 seconds to upload a whole site, why have one half done?
  3. 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM #3
    Ludasmith is offline Aluminum
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    156

    I've been messing with this. Pretty straight forward.
  4. 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM #4
    Scottl is online now Aluminum
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    153

    FileZilla is a free FTP (file transfer protocol) program that allows drag and drop uploading of updated files.

    https://filezilla-project.org/

    The interface is a split screen that shows the local folder/directory on your computer on the left and the remote host folder/directory on the right. When files are selected for uploading that match the name of files on the host computer a dialog box appears with choices like overwrite, keep both, etc. You can also delete or rename files on the host just as if they were on your computer.

    The only slightly difficult part is the initial setup where you must enter your username and password for the remote host.
  5. 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM #5
    LFLondon's Avatar
    LFLondon is online now Hot Rolled
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    633

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    I have a website hosted by Yahoo that needs a few simple updates - changing some contact names, updating some downloadable *.pdf forms and replacing or deleting a few images. My son built the site for me a few years ago using Dreamweaver. What would be the quickest, easiest, lowest learning curve way to update the site?

    The last time I needed to make any changes, I just opened the .html pages and added/deleted on them, but this was a PITA because I couldn't see how my changes would appear until I re-opened the page on my website.
    Go to your website. Save/download the homepage .html file. Open it in another browser window (open file command). Load same .html file into your html text editor and make changes needed. Reload/refresh the saved html in the other window to see what your updates look like. This works very well especially when you have a lot of updates to make. Keep your code and website simple and direct.
    Apps I recommend are:

    Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with
    www.sublimetext.com/‎
    Sublime Text
    Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.

    There are others, maybe this is what you are looking for:

    NVU Web Authoring System
    http://net2.com/nvu/download.html

    Nvu HTML editor - Lifehacker
    lifehacker.com/036166/nvu-html-editor
    Lifehacker
    by Gina Trapani - in 1,247,914 Google+ circles
    Mar 16, 2005 - The Nvu web-authoring software is a light, free alternative to FrontPage and Dreamweaver for PC or Mac. Nvu is best for non-HTML experts ...
    Nvu HTML editor
    Nvu HTML editor
    The Nvu web-authoring software is a light, free alternative to FrontPage and Dreamweaver for PC or Mac.
    Nvu is best for non-HTML experts who need an easy way to create a web page. Using the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) interface, drag and drop images onto the page you're designing, set colors and fonts visually, and Nvu will generate clean HTML understandable across modern web browsers. (HTML source view available.) Publish files to your FTP server with one click. Work on multiple pages at once with tabbed editing. Free as in speech, and based on the Mozilla Composer application of old.
    -
    This is where to go to download the Windows .zip version: http://net2.com/nvu/download.html

    <>

    For many more run this search string through Google search:

    the best html editors lifehacker

    I rely on Lifehacker for app recommendations.

    LFLondon

  • [machinist] OT Simplest software to use for basic updating of website, Lawrence London, 01/31/2014