machinist - [machinist] Table stops. Anyone still use them?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Table stops. Anyone still use them?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:29:05 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/table-stops-anyone-still-use-them-279363/

  1. 01-30-2014, 10:07 PM #1
    travis.taylor is offline Plastic
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    37

    Default Table stops. Anyone still use them?

    Hey guys!

    I recently came up with an idea. A kind of upgrade for Bridgeports and clones
    that I may go ahead and pursue...
    A large factor though is whether or not people actually still use the manual
    table stops on their mill. I think I already know the answer to this, but I would
    still like to quick survey!

    So, Who still uses the little manual x-axis table stops on their kneemill?
    Any details you care to share would be helpful as well, like how often,
    what kind of operation, accuracies maintained, and any sort of gripes,
    complaints, or specific reasons you don't use (or even hate) the table
    stops.

    Table stops opinions!!!

    Hmmmm..... Previewing this post makes me wonder if people are going to think I'm crazy...... I know it's kind of a strange thing to ask about
  2. 01-30-2014, 10:16 PM #2
    starbolin's Avatar
    starbolin is offline Stainless
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Posts
    1,168

    I've used mine occasionally, very occasionally. Usually just turn to the line on the dial.
  3. 01-30-2014, 10:22 PM #3
    TGTool is online now Cast Iron
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Posts
    268

    I sometimes set them, usually just X, if I'm doing something like whittling a pocket and I have repeat travels to the same stop points. It saves having to always watch the dial going each direction. Even if I zero the dial one direction, the other will always be some odd number. I usually set the stops just a little short and do cleanup by the numbers.
  4. 01-30-2014, 10:33 PM #4
    Frank Ford's Avatar
    Frank Ford is online now Hot Rolled
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA USA
    Posts
    839

    I use mine for a few production items where I want to be able to crank the X-axis quickly over to the stop. I made myself a very solid stop for just that purpose, so I could slam into it hundreds of times repeatedly without losing .001"

  5. 01-30-2014, 10:37 PM #5
    travis.taylor is offline Plastic
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    37

    tgtool: This is exactly how I use mine. Also for repeated hole positions.. I've been finding myself doing
    repetitive hole patterns quite a lot lately... very simple, but very repetitive..

    Starbolin: What do you mean exactly? nevermind, I see what your saying lol
  6. 01-30-2014, 10:40 PM #6
    travis.taylor is offline Plastic
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    37

    Frank, I believe I've seen your stop once in another post somewhere? I like it!!
    BTW, pretty table!
  7. 01-30-2014, 10:48 PM #7
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    I use them, I put a threaded adjuster for each side on the center stop. I also made a stop for the Y axis
  8. 01-30-2014, 10:55 PM

    Diamond

  9. 01-30-2014, 11:16 PM #9
    travis.taylor is offline Plastic
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    It's 2014, I use CNC.
    CNC is for rich lazy people lol.. Just kidding.. (but seriously..)
    How's the weather up there this year? I lived in over in Roslyn
    for a while before I moved to Texas.. Can't wait to get back to the
    northwest one day!!
  10. 01-30-2014, 11:35 PM

    Diamond

  11. 01-30-2014, 11:58 PM #11
    Comatose is offline Hot Rolled
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    737

    If I understand properly, you're thinking of some sort of programmable table stop, for hole patterns and such? Key in numbers and the stop moves to there. Self locking, precision acme screw, probably stepper driven. Probably four or six pre-set buttons. Knock out hole patterns cheaper than a DRO and faster than manually. Retail for a couple hundred bucks?

    I could have used something like that yesterday, in fact. It could be made user-friendly to improve the production of a manual-only prototype guy without much learning curve. They exist for miter saws, but that's a lot more travel.
  12. 01-31-2014, 12:46 AM #12
    stephen thomas is offline Diamond
    Jun 2001
    Location
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,836

    Strictly manual here.
    I use the stops for multiples.
    Have even considered making/replacing the Y axis stops on my SB mill. Must not need 'em bad enough, never get around to it.

    smt
  13. 01-31-2014, 01:27 AM #13
    dbsuthe is offline Aluminum
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central California, USA
    Posts
    191

    I use them occasionally to ensure that I don't overshoot the mark, especially as I near completion of a complex piece.
    No matter how good the DRO there is always the possibility of turning the wrong handle the wrong way.

    Dan
  14. 01-31-2014, 04:28 AM #14
    adama is offline Diamond
    Dec 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    5,820

    I have converted my Bridgeport to cnc, nothing beats a computer for repetition. That said i oftern still run odd bits with the handles, even then a DRO + the graduations a stop does seam kinda un needed these days.
  15. 01-31-2014, 05:42 AM #15
    Greenwud is offline Aluminum
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    86

    Again, for multiples using the lever feeds. Especially fast for shortening and finishing bolts.
    Repeatable to 2 thou with a little care using a single 5/16 capscrew and nut to adjust and lock.
  16. 01-31-2014, 09:08 AM #16
    crossthread's Avatar
    crossthread is online now Stainless
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Richmond,VA,USA
    Posts
    1,122

    I use them when I am sharpening planer blades with the X power feed unattended. I can do something else while grinding away and then just come back to it, adjust the Z and reverse the feed. That's about the only time. Seems like everybody I know gives me their blades to sharpen. It's kind of a mess so I cover the ways with aluminum foil and do a couple of sets at the same time. When I'm done I crumple up the foil with all the crap in it and I'm good to go.

  • [machinist] Table stops. Anyone still use them?, Lawrence London, 01/31/2014