machinist - [machinist] Advise (on learning CNC machining)

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Advise (on learning CNC machining)
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:26:12 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/advise-279371/

asadkazmi is offline Plastic
Sep 2013
Location
London
Posts
11

Default Advise

Hi, Every one

I am new to machining field and learning at my own , i don't have any previous experience in this field, i am from media/graphics.

My machines will be deliver by the end of March 2014, probably by that time i will be sufficient in maths, and surly pick other thing quickly as well. recently started learning at Sandvik Coromant E-Learning course. i grasped Solidworks well enough and easy in designing product in CAD but did not yet touched CAM because i think , first I complete maths and grasp tool knowledge, then CAM.

Now my question is shall i learn CNC coding as well , ? or if i am depending on CAM application can i relies on CAM instead of memorizing G code by heart and practice them alot, ? i will be using DMG 5 axis simultaneous maching center. DMU 75 MonoBlock and CTX510.

My primary focus is at Maths, my worries are about what else i have to cover, i know basics like, how to calculate from net power to spindle speed and feed rate, etc from tolerance to allowance to clearance but these all are yet theoretically learned. I need advise and tips to grasp my subject.

When i went to Hanover 2013 first time i did not have any experience about Metals and Machining but it's really interesting field from that day i learned about tools and guages and machines , but the disturbing thing is metallurgy. i just know ISO six diffrent standards from P,M,K,N,S,H. are steel , stainless steel , cast iron and etc nothing more than that.

What i want to know is what else topic i have to learn more ?

thanks

01-31-2014, 08:41 AM #2
Mcgyver is offline Stainless
Aug 2005
Location
Toronto
Posts
1,142

you can't learn everything at once, but you do need a basis in machining. Buy a college (trade school) level machining text and read it cover to cover. you will still won't have practical experience, but if you are bright and try to understand what you're reading you be a lot better off than with no machining knowledge.

  • [machinist] Advise (on learning CNC machining), Lawrence London, 01/31/2014