machinist - [machinist] A clamping tip for the vise (rough material)

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] A clamping tip for the vise (rough material)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:19:52 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/clamping-tip-vise-rough-material-279148/

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. 01-27-2014, 01:10 PM #1
    Nick Mueller is online now Stainless
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Munich / Germany
    Posts
    1,590

    Default A clamping tip for the vise (rough material)

    Hi!

    In case you have some cast / plasma cut parts to clamp in the vice:
    They tend to creap out of it if the sides are not parallel, or part likes to tilt on one side.

    Here is a trick I once learned:
    Take an old saw blade, cut it as long as your jaws are wide. Then (you need serrated vice jaws) slip the smooth side into one serration. Toothed side goes to the part and this sde pointing downwards a bit. Close jaws. The sawblade will work like a lever and pull the work downwards. Can be used at both sides simultaneously (not shown in the pictures).

    Worth a few more words:
    c1.jpg

    c2.jpg

    Nick
    Ocean, RayG, Mud and 3 others like this.
  2. 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM #2
    RayG is offline Aluminum
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    167

    Nice simple idea, I will remember that for future use.

    Ray
  3. 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM #3
    Forrest Addy is online now Diamond
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Bremerton WA USA
    Posts
    8,963

    I like it. Good use for old power hacksaw blades.
  4. 01-27-2014, 08:31 PM #4
    Jashley73 is online now Cast Iron
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    329

    Interesting. How is the holding power?

    I've always used either aluminum soft jaws, thin aluminum between the jaws and parts, or fold up some paper 4-8 times, and place between the jaw and the part...
  5. 01-28-2014, 03:19 AM #5
    Nick Mueller is online now Stainless
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Munich / Germany
    Posts
    1,590

    How is the holding power?
    Great.
    In the pictures, you see a carbide endmill. I used it to (helical) mill a 30 mm bore into the flat stock.

    Soft jaws do often work, no doubt. And I don't tell you not to use them.
    But in the situation shown, the plasma cut sides were not perpendicular. So one side always slipped upwards. With the sawblade, that side was being pushed down onto the parallels.
    If you have say a casting with draft and you need to clamp it with the bigger end (of the draft) upwards, it will always try to slip up. Two sawblades (one on each side) and the part will be securely push downwards.

    Nick
    Jashley73 likes this.
  6. 01-28-2014, 05:49 AM #6
    Jashley73 is online now Cast Iron
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    329

    I can see how the serrated jaws would be necessary. Perhaps one could mill a small slot in soft-jaws to hold the saw-blade, if they didn't have serrated jaws on hand.

    Quick question: do you notice the vise's sliding jaw try to lift? How would one address this - tamp the part back down? Or is it not usually an issue?

    I like it, thanks for sharing.
  7. 01-28-2014, 05:58 AM #7
    Nick Mueller is online now Stainless
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Munich / Germany
    Posts
    1,590

    No that's the trick! Even if the sliding jaw lifts up, the part is pressed down.

    So this is also helpful if you have a lousy vise where the moving jaw is sloppy and lifts.

    Nick
  8. 01-28-2014, 06:24 AM #8
    number 2 is offline Cast Iron
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    342

    Thats PFC.
  9. 01-28-2014, 06:48 AM #9
    hickstick_10 is offline Hot Rolled
    Oct 2009
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    973

    I like it, I like it alot.
  10. 01-28-2014, 11:02 AM #10
    Metalcutter's Avatar
    Metalcutter is online now Titanium
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,608

    Care to tell us of what make is your vise? Looks pretty husky.

    Regards,

    Stan-
  11. 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM #11
    michiganbuck is online now Stainless
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,182

    Looks like that idea might also be good for holding down non-magnetic parts on a magnetic chuck with being side blocked in with a side grove parallel.
    Buck
  12. 01-28-2014, 11:41 AM #12
    michiganbuck is online now Stainless
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,182

    Quote Originally Posted by hickstick_10 View Post
    I like it, I like it alot.
    Me too

    Looks like that idea might also be good for holding down non-magnetic parts on a magnetic chuck with being side blocked in with a side grove parallel.
    Buck

  • [machinist] A clamping tip for the vise (rough material), Lawrence London, 01/28/2014