machinist - [machinist] Best material to make machine arbors (no post-machine heat-treat)??

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Best material to make machine arbors (no post-machine heat-treat)??
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 19:56:08 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/best-material-make-machine-arbors-no-post-machine-heat-treat-279153/

  1. CountryBoy19 is online now Aluminum
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bedford, IN
    Posts
    155

    I need to make a couple arbors for some indexable tooling for my B&S #9 spindle. The only commercial option for what I'm wanting is available only in a solid carbide cylindrical shank (would have to use in a collet) and costs ~$1600. Way, way too much. So I'm going to make my own arbor on a CNC lathe; while I'm doing that I may as well make it directly couple to my B&S 9 spindle.

    I won't be able to do post-machining heat-treat or grinding so I need something machineable but something that will hold up well. My first thought is 4140 PH, but is there something better?
  2. 01-27-2014, 02:21 PM #2
    rklopp's Avatar
    rklopp is online now Titanium
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Redwood City, CA USA
    Posts
    3,425

    LaSalle ETD-150 is nice to machine, stable, good for arbors. You can get it from McMaster. It's resulfurized 4140 with proprietary HT.
  3. 01-27-2014, 02:58 PM #3
    XD341 is online now Cast Iron
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NY USA
    Posts
    342

    The ETD is good stuff. Along the same lines 1144 stressproof or fatigue proof are also very nice high yield materials that aren't hard to work with. Short of tool steel that's about as good as it gets from a workable durability standpoint. ETA I'm sure there are some maraging steels that would be better but that stuff is kinda expensive.

  • [machinist] Best material to make machine arbors (no post-machine heat-treat)??, Lawrence London, 01/27/2014