machinist - [machinist] 5c collet block?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] 5c collet block?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 23:59:20 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/5c-collet-block-278316/

  1. 01-11-2014, 03:49 PM #1
    alan speyrer is offline Cast Iron
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shallowater, Texas
    Posts
    471

    Default 5c collet block?

    I have a job that requires I drill a .070 cross hole in a .375 piece of 360 brass, the job is 120 pieces. Would a 5c collet block held in a vise on my drill press be the most accurate and quickest way to do this job?, I have never used a 5c collet block, I am thinking of buying the block with the lever to speed up this process.
  2. 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM #2
    dian is offline Hot Rolled
    Feb 2010
    Location
    ch
    Posts
    504

    why dont you just use the vice?
  3. 01-11-2014, 04:20 PM #3
    alan speyrer is offline Cast Iron
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shallowater, Texas
    Posts
    471

    I don't want to damage the surface finish, the brass rod has a ground finish., and each piece is only 1/2inch long

    Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    why dont you just use the vice?
  4. 01-11-2014, 04:46 PM #4
    Scottl is offline Aluminum
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    103

    You will have to spot the hole first. A #50 drill can easily wander off the center of round stock. On a drill press that is more of a job for a finger plate type jig with a drill bushing. Use a toggle clamp with a soft "V" pad to hold the work and mount an end stop to control position.
  5. 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM #5
    alan speyrer is offline Cast Iron
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shallowater, Texas
    Posts
    471

    " finger plate type jig", which i knew what that looked like.
    I have some hex stainless steel on hand. i have thought about making one cut lengthwise on a short piece of hex, then drilling it with a .375 drill. then placing the brass inside the hex and clamping it in the vise on the drill press, spot drill first, then drill with a #50 drill bit. how well would that work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    You will have to spot the hole first. A #50 drill can easily wander off the center of round stock. On a drill press that is more of a job for a finger plate type jig with a drill bushing. Use a toggle clamp with a soft "V" pad to hold the work and mount an end stop to control position.
  6. 01-11-2014, 05:21 PM #6
    Frank Ford's Avatar
    Frank Ford is online now Hot Rolled
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA USA
    Posts
    837

    I have a little job where I have to cross drill the turned end (1/8" diameter) of a rod for a 1/16" roll pin. I find the easiest, fastest and most accurate way for me is to drill a hole in a piece of 1/2" square cold rolled steel to accept the rod, with my cross hole lined up and used as a drill jig. Not heat treated or otherwise sophisticated, this little jig has worked for a few thousand holes so far:

    The result is good enough for me:

    You, John Welden, TDegenhart and 7 others like this.
  7. 01-11-2014, 09:24 PM #7
    Toolznthings's Avatar
    Toolznthings is offline Hot Rolled
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    562

    Length in vise jaws with stop on side of OD ?

  • [machinist] 5c collet block?, Lawrence London, 01/11/2014