machinist - [machinist] 5c collet block?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] 5c collet block?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 15:43:25 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/5c-collet-block-278316/

  1. 01-11-2014, 03:49 PM #1
    alan speyrer is online now Cast Iron
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shallowater, Texas
    Posts
    472

    Default 5c collet block?

    I have a job that requires I drill a .070 cross hole in a .375 piece of 360 brass, the job is 120 pieces. Would a 5c collet block held in a vise on my drill press be the most accurate and quickest way to do this job?, I have never used a 5c collet block, I am thinking of buying the block with the lever to speed up this process.
  2. 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM #2
    dian is offline Hot Rolled
    Feb 2010
    Location
    ch
    Posts
    504

    why dont you just use the vice?
  3. 01-11-2014, 04:20 PM #3
    alan speyrer is online now Cast Iron
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shallowater, Texas
    Posts
    472

    I don't want to damage the surface finish, the brass rod has a ground finish., and each piece is only 1/2inch long

    Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    why dont you just use the vice?
  4. 01-11-2014, 04:46 PM #4
    Scottl is offline Aluminum
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    103

    You will have to spot the hole first. A #50 drill can easily wander off the center of round stock. On a drill press that is more of a job for a finger plate type jig with a drill bushing. Use a toggle clamp with a soft "V" pad to hold the work and mount an end stop to control position.
  5. 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM #5
    alan speyrer is online now Cast Iron
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shallowater, Texas
    Posts
    472

    " finger plate type jig", which i knew what that looked like.
    I have some hex stainless steel on hand. i have thought about making one cut lengthwise on a short piece of hex, then drilling it with a .375 drill. then placing the brass inside the hex and clamping it in the vise on the drill press, spot drill first, then drill with a #50 drill bit. how well would that work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    You will have to spot the hole first. A #50 drill can easily wander off the center of round stock. On a drill press that is more of a job for a finger plate type jig with a drill bushing. Use a toggle clamp with a soft "V" pad to hold the work and mount an end stop to control position.
  6. 01-11-2014, 05:21 PM #6
    Frank Ford's Avatar
    Frank Ford is offline Hot Rolled
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA USA
    Posts
    837

    I have a little job where I have to cross drill the turned end (1/8" diameter) of a rod for a 1/16" roll pin. I find the easiest, fastest and most accurate way for me is to drill a hole in a piece of 1/2" square cold rolled steel to accept the rod, with my cross hole lined up and used as a drill jig. Not heat treated or otherwise sophisticated, this little jig has worked for a few thousand holes so far:

    The result is good enough for me:

    You, John Welden, JRIowa and 11 others like this.
  7. 01-11-2014, 09:24 PM #7
    Toolznthings's Avatar
    Toolznthings is offline Hot Rolled
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    562

    Length in vise jaws with stop on side of OD ?
  8. 01-12-2014, 01:51 AM #8
    drylakemachine is offline Cast Iron
    May 2008
    Location
    elmirage ca
    Posts
    416

    Use Franks type of fixture (1x1 x2) block.Drill 3/8 hole thru,cross drill for dowell at the depth you wantThen
    drill for the .070 cross hole.leave enough of the brass sticking out to hold it.I use spark plug wire
    pliers.Once set up,insert part,drill,remove,do it again.
    jim
  9. 01-12-2014, 08:46 AM #9
    alan speyrer is online now Cast Iron
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shallowater, Texas
    Posts
    472

    thas exactly what i did!, sometimes I try to "over" complicate simple tasks, i think thats the dyslexia getting in my way.

    Quote Originally Posted by drylakemachine View Post
    Use Franks type of fixture (1x1 x2) block.Drill 3/8 hole thru,cross drill for dowell at the depth you wantThen
    drill for the .070 cross hole.leave enough of the brass sticking out to hold it.I use spark plug wire
    pliers.Once set up,insert part,drill,remove,do it again.
    jim
  10. 01-12-2014, 10:54 AM #10
    Don Clement's Avatar
    Don Clement is online now Aluminum
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Running Springs, Ca. USA
    Posts
    132

    I use press-in drill bushings in fixtures when drilling more than a few hundred holes. Drill Bushings | Precision Bushings | Headless Press Fit P

    Don
  11. 01-12-2014, 11:07 AM #11
    L Vanice is online now Diamond
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    7,941

    If you have a thousand or so parts, look for a used Heinrich 305 cross hole jig. List is $330, but they turn up on eBay. They have a cam clamp to hold the part while drilling.

    In any case, you want a split point drill bit to drill into a round part.

    Heinrich Company - Hand Operated Cross-Hole Drill Jig - Racine, Wisconsin

    Larry
  12. 01-12-2014, 11:31 AM #12
    Don Clement's Avatar
    Don Clement is online now Aluminum
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Running Springs, Ca. USA
    Posts
    132

    I cross drill using 5C collets first using a spot drill so the drill bit won’t wander. An advantage of holding in a 5C collet vs a fixture with a fixed hole is that other operations can then be performed in the hole just drilled such as tapping in the cross drilled hole such as the 1.063” diameter part held in a 5C collet shown below.

    And yes 5C collet blocks can be handy mounted in the vise for cross drilling and indexing when one just does not want to dismount the vise and mount the rotary table.

    Don

  • [machinist] 5c collet block?, Lawrence London, 01/11/2014
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • [machinist] 5c collet block?, Lawrence London, 01/12/2014