lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] the future of Lyceum

  • From: Bryan Thale <bryan.thale AT motorola.com>
  • To: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] the future of Lyceum
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:07:18 -0600

NOT a typical IT request: "install a flexible blog system, give it
some cool themes and plugins, and write some nifty scripts on the side
so that people can see interesting visualizations of the community's
activity and data. Take as many hardware, services, and time resources
as you deem fit, because developing a healthy blogging community is
valuable!!"

A typical IT request: "we want team members to bloger [sic] their
Sales Stories. The system will only be accessible internally. You can
use the Linusx [sic] server we bought in 2005. If you need a database,
submit a request to Database Services. We want team members to be able
to log into their bloger [sic] using the corporate-wide [obscure EOLed
Lotus product] service [which mostly implements LDAP as the world knew
it in 1999]. You have 4 days to do this."

And THEN, a few months down the line: "the blogs are great! we want to
make a publicly accessible front-end that can search the Sales Stories
title for particular keywords, so that our customers can see what a
great experience it is to work with us. You have 1 day to do this."

By now you can probably see what I'm getting at. With limited time and
system resources, it's a big win to have a normalized database schema
that can be accessed with well-known techniques and minimal
performance or development overhead, and without having to become an
expert at working with a particular web application.

Brian-- please correct the above characterization as you see fit!

Ha! So... where's your cube? Sounds almost like you must be in the next hallway over. ;-)

Bryan.

--
Bryan Thale
Motorola Open Source Technologies, Mobile Devices