lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] the future of Lyceum

  • From: "David R. Woolley" <drwool AT thinkofit.com>
  • To: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] the future of Lyceum
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:32:22 -0600

I installed Lyceum for my son's high school. (See the public blogs at http://watershedhs.org/currents).

At the time I did this (summer of 2006) I chose Lyceum because it seemed better suited to our purpose than WordPress MU. Here's what I was looking for:

* Ability to run multiple blogs (around 20 or so) on one site without having to install a separate copy of WordPress for each one.

* Common theme/style for all blogs, and ability to update the theme once and have changes instantly apply to all blogs on the site.

* Shared userid/password for all blogs.

* Central control of blog creation. We did not want just anyone to be able to create a blog.

* Central administration over all blogs - in particular, central control over who has admin access to each individual blog. These blogs are all "owned" by the school rather than any one individual, and responsibility for maintaining any particular blog changes as faculty and volunteers come and go.

* Ability to search across all blogs on the site.

* Ability to make use of the vast library of WordPress plugins.

Except for that last item, Lyceum has served our purposes very, very well. (Plugins have turned out to be problematic because Lyceum is always a few steps behind WordPress development, so incompatibility is a frequent problem.)

We have no need to run a massive blog farm, as WordPress MU seemed to be designed for.

I haven't followed development of MU since I looked at it nearly three years ago, so I have no idea whether it would now serve as a good platform for us. It would have to offer something pretty good for us to go to the trouble of switching over, as Lyceum is working well for our purposes - especially since we upgraded to 1.03 which fixed a few nagging problems and greatly improved the central administration features.

The main downside of Lyceum for us has been that it's been hard to get answers to technical questions and problems -- though I can't complain much, given that John Bachir has been doing pretty much all the development by himself with very little reward! Fortunately I've been able to figure things out myself for the most part.