lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] the future of Lyceum

  • From: Bryan Thale <bryan.thale AT motorola.com>
  • To: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] the future of Lyceum
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:45:49 -0600

- What value does Lyceum hold for you today?

Multi-user, multi-blog system that nonetheless uses the popular WordPress UI & Plug-ins

- Did you chose Lyceum over WordPress MU mainly because of the schema?

Yes, definitely. WordPress MU's approach is a non-starter.

- What other reasons do you have for using Lyceum?

That's pretty much it. We needed a multi-user, multi-blog service that we could customize and easily incorporate with our other internal collaboration tools. After looking high and low, Lyceum was the only viable option.

- In general, what do you like and dislike about Lyceum?

Like: the support for multiple blogs (schema) and the WordPress UI & plug-ins
Dislike: Unfortunately, we misunderstood the level of support that Lyceum enjoyed. We thought Lyceum had at least an indirectly funded development team. Instead, it turns out to be the personal project of a single developer with all the limitations that that implies. So, our primary dislike is the lack of ongoing development and community support. Our biggest technical gripe with Lyceum is that the schema needs to be cleaned up some and tweaked a little to improve the normalization. For example, it is way too difficult to relate a post to a blog.

However, I do want to thank you for your work and effort providing Lyceum. Without it (and you) we would have nothing and Lyceum is way, way better than nothing. :-) I hope you decide to reactivate the project but I know how much work that involves and can understand if it gives you pause.

Bryan.

--
Bryan Thale
Motorola Open Source Technologies, Mobile Devices