lyceum-dev - Re: [Lyceum-dev] Upgrading WordPress?

lyceum-dev AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: John Joseph Bachir <jjb AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Bryan Thale <bryan.thale AT motorola.com>
  • Cc: lyceum-dev AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-dev] Upgrading WordPress?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 12:44:04 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Bryan Thale wrote:

1. What is the procedure for submitting changes back to you guys?
Not promising anything, but it pays to be prepared.

The best way is to put together a ticket on our trac system, and attach the changes as a diff file. Here is how to do that:

<http://wiki.lyceum.ibiblio.org/index.php/Trac_Guide>

If you need help with generating a diff file, let me know.

2. How much trouble am I making for myself if I start messing with
the functions in template-functions-general.php? Specifically,
adding some functions like "wp_siteadmin()" to optionally return a
link to the current blog's admin page if the user has admin rights
to the blog? Or changing wp_register() so it doesn't wrap the link
with <li></li>?

If you change existing functions, it will probably be safe for your own installation, but probably won't be code that we can easily integrate into Lyceum as we aim to maintain behavior identical to WordPress.

However, adding your own functions at the end of the file, submitting a patch back to us, and documenting the new functions on the wiki, is safe and encouraged :)

3. Changing the signature of the wp_* functions to accept params for
<a> tag attibutes? (e.g., id, class, title, etc.)

See above.

4. Should such changes be sent to you guys or WP? Or, if I send them
to you will you send them to WP as appropriate?

If you want to change WordPress template functions, then you should submit the patches to WordPress, and if they are integrated in WP they will trickle back to Lyceum

If you want to add new functions which are only relevant to Lyceum, submit them to us.

Thanks Bryan, stay in touch.

John
----
aim/yim/msn/jabber.org: johnjosephbachir
713.494.2704
irc://irc.freenode.net/lyceum
http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/
http://blog.johnjosephbachir.org/