livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 40 Percent of Russia’s Food Is Grown from Dacha Gardens

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: dhondt <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 40 Percent of Russia’s Food Is Grown from Dacha Gardens
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 12:16:30 +0100

Theoretically we could. I see as the main problems the loss of knowledge and more important that (unhealthy, junk) food is much too cheap. You will not get rich growing food and it will take up a lot of your time so that you can't make real money elsewhere.
And it was decided politically that it should be this way. We have been told for many decades that the way forward is huge production and small profit per unit. It does not matter that you only make $2 profit on a beef animal or a pig as long as you can finish many hundreds per week. Same with vegetables and any other food source.

Forget about money and one acre of marginal land under the worst of weather can feed 6-7 people for 90 %. As long as the "system" leaves you alone.
John

40 Percent of Russia’s Food Is Grown from Dacha Gardens
http://bullhorn.nationofchange.org/40_percent_of_russia_s_food_grown_from_dacha_gardens#sthash.urf9rFI0.dpuf

so why cant we?