livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Review: A User’s Guide to the Crisis of Civilization by Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: herb farmer <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Review: A User’s Guide to the Crisis of Civilization by Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 20:06:16 -0600

I'm including one paragraph from this that deals with food production. The whole thing is well worth analysis & debate.

Review: A User’s Guide to the Crisis of Civilization by Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2011-05-18/review-user%E2%80%99s-guide-crisis-civilization-nafeez-mosaddeq-ahmed

"Perhaps the most compelling support for Ahmed’s optimism (and again returning to the example of food) is a 2007 study on the potential of organic farming methods, conducted by researchers at the University of Michigan. A common fear among gloom-and-doom prognosticators has long been that as industrial agriculture collapses under its own stupendous weight, we’ll experience a worldwide famine of untold severity. But this extensive study shows that in addition to ameliorating environmental harm, organic, low-input integrated farming systems using little or no pesticides are also quite capable of supporting current and projected populations. They could increase global food production by as much as half, to 4381 kilocalories per person per day, which Ahmed calculates could easily sustain an estimated population peak of 10 to 11 billion people by 2100."