livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] water woes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: John D'hondt <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] water woes
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 01:02:42 +0100

Good to read that you can cope with the drought Paul.
John

On 12/05/15 20:46, herb farmer wrote:
Look out, Arizona! California isn’t the only state getting hit by drought
http://link.grist.org/52acab63c16bcfa46fb249da2le3p.11re/VVHBGcPobo-8pYTYA73a2

not by coincidence, I've been getting better at greens & tomatoes for some time, expecting store prices to keep rising faster. right on schedule, it's happening. also, our area is permanent drought, or technically desert, so we're using water conserving methods all along - watering raised beds instead of wasting water on the whole garden area, using mulch to conserve moisture & protect surface roots from high altitude sun. to do even better I need to shade some varieties in midsummer.
paul