livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Frank Morton: The Seed of Our Futures

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Frank Morton: The Seed of Our Futures
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 00:02:14 +0100

That all makes good sense to me. Gm companies are still rooted in the central dogma of genetics which as become as dead as a dodo in the last ten years. The completely new science of epi-genetics has made huge progress in that time and we have found out that there is still a hell of a lot more to learn.
One of the strangest experiments of this year proved that memory and emotions in animals can be inherited. They made mice fear the smell of roses by giving them an electric shock every time that smell was around. Then these mice were bred for two generations without rose smells or electric shocks. Then the grand children of the original trained mice were given the smell of roses upon which they showed serious stress and fear.
Also fairly new is that it can now be taken for granted that plants too have a memory over generations. Plants can see and some can hear and smell and some take care of their offspring.
John
WOW gotta see this

Frank Morton: The Seed of Our Futures
http://www.mofga.org/Publications/MaineOrganicFarmerGardener/Spring2007/FrankMorton/tabid/705/Default.aspx

Frank Morton has been breeding and experimenting with vegetables for some 25 years. Varieties that grow well under organic cultivation on both coasts are offered in quantities of ½ ounce or more in his Wild Garden Seed catalog from Gathering Together Farm, PO Box 1509, Philomath, OR 97370 (www.wildgardenseed.com). Morton was the keynote speaker at MOFGA and Cooperative Extension’s Farmer to Farmer Conference last November.