livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Menu for a Hot Planet (wrong in so many ways)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Menu for a Hot Planet (wrong in so many ways)
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 15:05:51 -0600

I'm using a mulch mix that does double duty, shade the bed soil in summer heat, & break down & feed the soil thru fall & winter. More of the same in spring when I transplant into the same beds. This is a big departure from Jeavons' & makes less work with the "more food production in less space". I'm thinking when people go out & buy bagged compost the best thing they can do with it is use it for mulch.

Haven't seen our first frost yet, can't recall harvesting tomatoes this late in Sept. Not complaining! We're trying to have greens to harvest straight thru winter this time. With UNheated homemade greenhouse, we can cover inside beds with plastic and/or old sheets, with a light bulb hanging under each cover. It worked last winter, so long as we have a couple winter markets each month, we'll go for it. Spinach, arugula, & kales - true Siberian & Western Front.