livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] How Diet and #Climate Change Are IntrinsicallyLinked

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] How Diet and #Climate Change Are IntrinsicallyLinked
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 01:28:12 +0100

"beef makes up 4 percent by weight of available food, but 36 percent of
emissions"

CAFO beef probably but I severely doubt that gras grazing beef is worse weight for weight than humans.

"Direct emissions from agriculture make up between 10 percent and 12
percent of overall greenhouse gas emissions. If you throw in factors
such as fertilizer and chemical production, fuel use and agricultural
land-use change, the proportion rises—along with the uncertainty—to
between 17 percent and 32 percent.

that is regular industrial agriculture and not organic-permaculture!

"Researchers may enhance yields and farmers may use resources more
efficiently, but populations will increase—and so will demand for meat
and dairy products."

The human population exploded thanks to oil. Oil production and human population graphs follow one another very closely.
Past peak oil...we can only keep people fed by trashing the planet for short term gain. I can see a breaking point in the not too far distant future and then populations will crash and so will demand. Just extrapolating graph lines is oxymoronic.