livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Grass, Soil, Hope

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Grass, Soil, Hope
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 01:02:38 +0100

I think we need to stop regular industrial agriculture to save the planet Lynn. Allan Savory is right in exlaining that grazing is important for improving vegetation growth but acts like plowing and chemicals like roundup are most definitely not. Kill the micro organisms in the soil and you have created something deader than the desert and you will need a long term grazing regimen to turn that around. And I would not like to eat those poor grazers.
John

Dear Paul,
There is a book out by my good friend Courtney White. Courtney used to
sell his grass-fed beef at Eldorado Market next to us. It's called
"Grass, Soil, Hope".
http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/grass_soil_hope:paperback
I am amazed that the meat eating conversation on this list hasn't been
aware of this. We need to eat meat to save the Planet. If you haven't
seen this, get ready:
http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change
This is the new movement. All the chair sitting in front of the screen
poo-pooers have tried to discredit this new movement and have utterly
failed. Even the USDA is now encouraging farmers into no till,
preferably organic no till. The best part of all this is the young
farmers and ranchers. They will save the Planet, or it will roast.
Regards, Lynn Montgomery

PEACE